22- Maverick

Nora's P.O.V.

Charlie ran alongside me, tongue hanging out, he looked up at me for a moment as we continued our journey down the road together. I loved this dog, I wanted to keep him so any chance I had to run with him, I was going to take it.

I should be doing this every day I am here. It was so freeing and something I couldn't do back home without being swarmed by a million different people hounding me. Even with my bodyguards by my side it was hard.

I already okayed it with Brady. Instead of dropping Charlie off with Brady after our run, I was just going to bring Charlie back to my house until I went over there after lunch to help with Spook.

Which reminds me, I had to think of a better name for that poor horse.

Charlie made himself at home when we got back. After he drank his water he went around, smelling everything around the house. "I'll be right out." I said, even though Charlie probably didn't know what I was talking about. I went into the bathroom, leaving the door open a crack, like I normally did and got into the shower.

I was rinsing out the shampoo when Charlie decided he was going to try and join me. "No... no, no, no Charlie. Out."

He stepped back out, whining as he looked up at me. "Give me one minute. Stay!"

I shut the curtain again, finished my shower and wrapped the towel around me. "You silly boy." Grabbing another towel, I knelt down, wrapped it around Charlie and dried him off. "Oh but I can't be mad at you... no I can't." I gave him a quick kiss and he followed me into my bedroom where I got dressed.

Grabbing some fresh strawberries out of the fridge, I put them on the counter and turned back to get everything out to make a sandwich for lunch.

Charlie watched me intently as I made my sandwich and followed me over to my table. "Do you want a strawberry?" I tossed him one and gave him a piece of cheese. "That's it, down." I motioned to the floor and he settled in comfortably at my feet while I ate.

After lunch, I put everything away quickly. "Come on boy." Charlie jumped in the passenger seat of my car and I headed over to the Montgomery's.

Charlie followed me as I got out of my car. Greg waved as he was coming out of the main house, finishing a piece of pizza that was in his hands.

"Hey, the boys are just finishing up lunch in the lodge. Follow me."

"What's the lodge?"

Greg smiled as walked alongside him, "The ranch hands stay there. It's one of the perks of working here, free board. The men with families live off the ranch with their loved ones."

"Oh." I followed Greg into the building he called the lodge.

"There's a lady in the house. Behave... Jake!"

"What?" Jake said, looking over at me with a smirk and winked. "I'm always a gentleman until the lady asks me not to be."

"Be a gentleman!" I shot back, making everyone laugh.

"Hey. How did it go?" Brady asked.

"Good. I almost didn't bring him back."

Brady laughed as pet Charlie. "Yeah, he's still a little damp because he decided to jump in the shower with me after our run."

"Oh. I should have warned you, he really likes water."

"It's okay."

Jake came up and lightly elbowed me, "Sooo, he's seen you naked?"

I rolled my eyes over at him. "You are such a man child."

All he did was laugh as he walked out of the lodge.