CHAPTER LVII

THE Maroons lost the championships.

Ayrton had 32 points under his name but it still fell short.

Pinapanood ni Santana ang team nito na naka-huddle sa may bench nila habang nagdidiwang ang team ni Claude. Her eyes quickly scanned Ayrton's face as he was now talking to his team.

His eyes looked tired but determined, she knew it was for the sake of his team's moral. Last game na kasi nila Ayrton, Jules, at Carlos—ggraduate na ang tatlong haligi ng team nila at masyado iyong mabigat para sa Maroons.

As the announcer's voice rang throughout the rambunctious arena, the Maroons started to head back towards the dugout after congratulating the Archers and getting their awards.

The seemingly indifferent Claude only acknowledged Ayrton's greetings and said a few words to him while shaking his hand before immediately disappearing to the dugout.

After the handshakes, bumalik na si Ayrton sa side ng team nila. And he looked so cold. Santana's heart clenched.

She didn't take her eyes off of him as he approached Jules who was near their bench with his towel on his head and shoulders hunched.

Ayrton peered and tilted his head to get a good look of his friend's face. The towel shook as Ayrton put his hand on Jules' shoulder.

Lalo itong tumungo at hindi nagpapakita ng mukha, but Ayrton was determined. He leaned his forehead on the top of Jules' bowed head as he continually spoke to him. They were both looking at the floor but from afar, Santana could see the towel shaking a bit more.

Carlos then joined their little huddle as he clapped the back of Ayrton then Jules.

Ilang sandali ang lumipas at tumunhay na ng kaunti si Jules at niyakap si Ayrton, pagkatapos ay si Carlos, all while still not showing his face.

Ayrton ruffled Carlos' hair as Jules left for the lockers. Ayrton was now talking to Carlos who was nodding at him every few words.

Exhaustion.

It was one way to put it, Ayrton thought.

Draping the damp towel on his eyes, he slouched and extended his legs as the back of his head rested on the bench's backrest.

They lost the championships.

Merda.

He felt the weight of the world on his shoulders. He was so disappointed because it felt like he let down his team.

It was such a bittersweet feeling. Huling UAAP season niya iyon bago grumaduate kaya't hindi maalis sa kanya ang panghihinayang. Not to mention, the excruciating therapy he had gone through because of his shoulder. Now, everything is slowly and heavily sinking down on him.

He felt so bad he can feel the rim of his eyes heating up, suddenly, as if possible, he was feeling a little more tired. He bit his lip as another wave of emotions hit him.

Sadya siyang nagpaiwan magisa sa may locker room kaya't solo niya ito ngayon. Nakaalis na kahit ang mga kapatid niya. And his team knew better, they knew how much this meant to their captain. So after giving a few words of encouragement from his team and coach, they left him alone.

He dragged his feet and showered and unsurprisingly, it didn't make him feel any better.

Paglabas ni Ayrton ng locker room papunta sa hall ng carpark ay naaninag niya ang nag-iisang taong he wouldn't mind to be by his side now. Or ever for that matter.