Episode 10: Reflection of a Beating Heart!

Meanwhile...

Temari and Kanuro hovered behind Gaara, pondering on the events of the previous moment. Gaara had never been one to commit to any kind of role, but they understood they needed to remain under the radar to fulfill their assignment from the Kazekage.

Generally, he took any action he saw fit. Did their brother just help some random girl off the ground? Did he let her near him? Touch him?! With a worried glance between them, Temari and Kankuro hoped their merciless brother overlooked them.

Regretfully, they'd been mistaken. "Is there something you two wish to say to me?" Behind Gaara's back, they both flinched and began to fear.

"Of course, not Gaara, just worried about the mission, that's all," Temari said in the opening statement. With a trembling giggle, she attempted to brush it off, but Gaara saw through her. She was too scared of him to be completely honest.

Gaara shifted slightly and peered over his shoulder, observing their scared expressions with soulless eyes. "You believe I'm interested in this mission? Nothing will stop me, even if the Hidden Leaf was aware of what was about to happen." His gaze met with harshness towards his brother. "If you two were concerned, you wouldn't be messing around with the people in this village."

Disappointed, Temari flinched as Kankuro froze in place.

Sand swirled around Gaara. He was going to murder them at last, and this was it. When the sound of the sand faded, Temari closed her eyes and balled her fists at her sides. She cautiously peered through one eye and saw that Gaara had vanished once more.

Temari slumped back against a tree, her legs trembling violently as she released the breath she was holding. Kankuro was motionless and trembling a little too.

Temari slapped him across the back of the head with a roar, saying, "I told you not to mess with them!"

"Where do you think he went?" whimpered Kankuro, rubbing the back of his head in frustration.

"I don't know, but anything is better than here right now," Temari said with a sigh as she peered at the area where Gaara had stood. "I was positive he was going to kill us. Come on, Baki is probably waiting for us at the Inn," she said, repositioning the fan on her back as she regained her balance. "He will not be happy to learn that Gaara escaped."

On a rooftop, back where the entire altercation began, Gaara sat by herself. He leaned back against the structure and folded his arms. That other little children had long since vanished, as had the Uchiha.

Abruptly he observed Izumi strolling by herself. Her shoes pattering along the road created a steady reverberation across the neighborhood. In addition, she appeared to be favoring one leg over the other—a limp that resulted from Kankuro.

He didn't feel the need to kill her, even though she would be simple pickings. Perplexed by his emotions, he leaned forward a little and studied the composed blonde. She laughed to herself as she moved gently.

Gaara felt Shukaku's presence stirring inside of him, and he growled. 'What's wrong, brat? Feeling something that you don't understand?'

The sand spirit cackling inside Gaara's skull made him grunt. 'This doesn't concern you.' He snapped back.

He was kind of new to this sensation, but he wouldn't admit it to anyone, least of all the devil inside him. For the first time in his existence, he didn't feel bloodlust when looking at someone. To him, everyone was just a target, a vessel for him to crush, but not this girl.

'Well, at least she's cute,' Shukaku chuckled even more within.

Gaara drew his eyes away from her, widening his eyes. He put his hand over his face. He was being patronized by the devil. He had no emotions other than wrath and bloodlust; he was nothing more than a destructive instrument. He lost himself in the picture of crystal-clear blue eyes, drowning out the ache in his head. Interesting.