Episode 19: The Chunnin Exams! Rock Lee vs. Gaara!

Rock Lee vs. Gaara no Sabaku

After a long wait, Rock Lee was matched up against Gaara.

Izumi approached Lee, aware of how terrible the situation had just become.

"Hey, Lee! Thanks for cheering me on back there... be careful with this guy. He seemed polite when I met him, nonetheless he seems to be seeking trouble." She gave her comrade a supportive grin.

Thank you, Izumi! I will! I vow to win this! "For you, Sakura and Guy Sensei!" He exclaimed, amped up.

"That is the spirit, Lee! Show this Sand Ninja the POWER OF YOUTH!" Might Guy yelled, motivated.

"Go, Lee!" "You got this!" Sakura applauded, her voice filled with real encouragement as she supported her friend.

Lee then hopped down as the battle broke out. Gaara appeared to be on edge, but that wouldn't stop Lee. He made a vow to the three individuals he most admired.

The two of them were face to face, one with pure determination and the other prepared to kill.

"To be able to face you this early, I couldn't be any happier," Lee smiled, but Gaara scoffed and said nothing.

Naruto gulped as he watched the spectacle in front of him, contemplating how the duel would play out.

Kankuro, who had crossed over to the opposite side, chatted with Izumi. "I don't know what kind of attacks that bowl head does, but there's no way he can beat Gaara," Kankuro observed, smirking as he watched.

Lee reflexively grabbed the gourd's cork as it approached his face.

"There's no need to be agitated," he remarked to Gaara, who began to seem a bit sinister.

"Now, let the match begin!" Genma spoke.

Gaara and Lee exchanged narrow-eyed stares. One of them was filled with hatred.

'That guy possesses speed, but his kick was not very high. Heh. He's no threat to our brother," Temari thought, smirking as she saw Lee use his Leaf Hurricane technique on Gaara.

Gaara retaliated by striking Lee with sand.

Lee sprang quickly from his feet and moved around to hit him, but the sand deflected his attacks.

'Damn!' Lee thought, 'He isn't even moving an inch.'

"Lee's fast movements are having no effect.." Izumi whispered in surprise as she watched him utilize Taijutsu on Gaara repeatedly.

"They are useless against him because the sand acts as a shield, protecting him. That's why, up until now, no one has even scratched Gaara," Kankuro murmured to her.

Lee continued to attack Gaara, who kept his sand tidal waves on him. Lee soared higher and backflipped, eventually landing on top of a large hand jutsu statue.

He was sweating profusely as he narrowed his eyes at Gaara's unsettling glare.

"Lee, take them off!" Guy spoke out loud.

Everyone was perplexed as to what he meant, but Lee sweated profusely.

"But Guy, sensei! That's only for a moment when I must defend people precious to me, isn't it?" Lee said with hesitation.

"It's okay! I'll allow it!" Guy gave a thumbs up, making him smile broadly. "Besides, you've got a promise to keep don't you?!" He gestured at Izumi's stationary form.

Lee smiled and nodded as he sat down and removed his weights from his legs, intending to drop them to the ground.

"Hmph!" Temari smirked in thought, "There's no way losing a little weight will allow him to keep up with Gaara's sand."