Episode 26: The Chunnin Exams: Neji vs. Naruto!

Neji vs. Naruto

Naruto became furious and looked over at the entrance, hoping he would arrive soon. "It doesn't make sense. Sasuke would not miss this, even if he had to drag himself up here."Gaara recalled one of the days before the final exam when he went to spy on Sasuke's training using his Third Eye method.

~flashback~

"What's wrong?" Aren't you weary already?" Kakashi inquired in a dreary tone. "Come on."

Sasuke was panting breathlessly as he charged toward him with what energy he had left. It was on this day that Gaara began to recognize his potential through the use of his Third Eye technique.

A few of the memories kept replaying in Gaara's head which caused his hand to twitch even more, much to Kakashi's realization. "No. After all my warnings not to draw attention to himself, he would have killed Sasuke, would he?" he questioned in his mind curiously while Gaara maliciously smiled.

~end of flashback~

"All right. Listen up. The ground is different, but the rules remain unchanged. That is, there are no rules," the referee said briefly before continuing, "The match will continue until one candidate admits defeat or dies." With that stated, if I concluded that the contest was over, I could intervene and end it at any point. No arguments are tolerated. Understood? The first match will pit Naruto Uzumaki against Neji Hyuga. The rest of you can proceed to the waiting area."

Except for Izumi and Shikamaru, the participants moved away and performed as instructed without looking back.

"You think he'll be okay?" Izumi questioned.

"Yeah. Naruto may be a knucklehead, but he's rather strong. Plus, I've heard he's been training with a Sannin."

Izumi's eyes expanded. "A Sannin?!" Since when?!"

"Since last month... I hear he learned a summoning jutsu too."

"Wow! That seems exciting.

"So, what have you done while you were away?" The emphasis on you was strong.

"Oh, well, come on. "I'll tell you," she said, heading up the steps with her companion and telling him about her most recent events.

They sat down on a bench and waited for their names to be called. Izumi used this chance to tell Shikamaru about her recent training. She started with a memory of when she was practicing with Kakashi.

"Kakashi-sensei assigned me a duty to battle against water clones," she began, her blue eyes beaming with joy. I realized I needed to use my water-breathing technique to defeat them. It took a lot of attention and control, but I eventually overcame them. Kakashi-sensei was amazed." she recounted.

Shikamaru nodded and listened closely.

Izumi said, "After that, I went to the forest outside the village to train with Leviathan. We focused on perfecting my dragon manipulation. It was difficult, but with Leviathan's help, I was able to gain greater control over my dragon powers."

Shikamaru smiled. 'I'm happy Leviathan is helping you. You always seem more assured when he's by your side."

Izumi's smile faltered for a moment as she reflected on her past. 'Yeah, I'm not sure where I would be without him. To be honest, I don't recall my true family. I have been an orphan since I was four years old. My grandma brought me to the village before she died."