Chapter 19: The Pain We Bear

After a prolonged encounter between the daemos and our parents, I was exhausted. For some reason the demos got it into their heads that Ava and I were princesses, our dads were convinced Ava had finally womaned up and got a fucking harem, and Ava was convinced she had a harem.

I flopped onto my bed and laid there for goddess-knows-how-long, just replaying the day in my head. I was fully prepared bang my head against the wall when the bed dipped.
"Hello, Pierce." I said, my voice muffled by the mattress. He didn't respond, simply leaning against my side and stroking my ears.
"Why didn't you tell me you're a princess?" He asked after a long silence.
"I'm not. Werewolves don't have princesses." I said, and a cold hand glided over the exposed skin of my midriff. Large fingers traced the scars on my back, making me shiver.
"How did you get these scars?" He asked, sensing that I wanted to change the subject.
"That's.... a long story, Pierce." I said;  I felt him lay down, spooning me, and arms wrapped around my waist and he pulled me so my back was flush against his chest.
"The night is long." He muttered.

"I guess.... I got them because I'm different."

I was born to a loving family. They were kind, and strong, and protected me from all the evil of the world. One night, when I was very young, we were walking home when strange men weioding guns cornered us. They said they were the Guardian Forces, and that my aunt, uncle, and cousins had been discovered and were being apprehended on Starlight Island.

My parents put up a fight. Blood washed the streets, but not even they could stand against a barrage of bullets.

They died that night, and a part of me died with them.

The Guardian Forces shackled me, muzzled me, and forced me into a van. I spent the next few years of my life in some kind of... facility. They tested me. They provoked me. They tortured me.

They said I was a descendant of the first werewolves. That I could turn people, kill them with my gaze. So....

I did.

Once I learned to transform I tore through the facility, eyes Blood red and teeth gnashing. It all fades to mist at some point but I remember screaming, the scent of fear, and the whizz of bullets.

I left no creature standing that day, and ran out into the pouring rain. I spent the next few years on the streets, learning to hunt and fight before Ava and her dad's found me. They gave me the home I had lost, and showed me a kindness I had forgotten. They still don't know everything about my past, but I like it that way. The pain should stay buried, and some of the secret should die with me.