Chapter 21: Hair Dye

I think I woke up Ava with my yelling. She came into the bathroom and saw me covered in injuries.
"RAYLA! What did you guys do?" Ava asked, rushing over to me.
"They didn't do anythin'. I got challenged for my rank again." I said, and she took the first aid kit from my hands. She tied a tourniqutte around my arms and legs to staunch the blood flow before wrapping the bites and scratches.

"Thank you Ava!" I said, smiling.
"Whoever this jerk is tore off your ear!" She hissed, angry.
"Yeah, but I can hear fine! My nose hurts more than my ear." I said, smiling.

" I said, smiling

"Mm-hmm... By the way, your roots are growing out. Do you want me to get the hair dye out?" She asked me.
"Ooh, yes please!"
"Who's dying?" Leif asked, eyes widening as he smiled.
"Nobody is dying." I said while Ava went to her room to get purple hair dye. "Hair dye is a type of paint people use to change their hair color. Ava uses it to make her hair pinker, and I use it to make my hair purple." I said.
"And this is because...?" Rhys asked.
"Eh, most people do it to feel more attractive. Ava and I just do it cause we like purple and pink. Anyway, when a person's hair grows, their roots stay their natural color, so they have to apply more dye sometimes." I said, and Ava came in with the supplies.

"Can we watch?" Noi asked.
"Sure." I said, going to the kitchen and bringing in a chair. Ava put on gloves and I sat down as she poured dye into a bowl. She applies a balm to my hairline to avoid getting my skin purple, and set up the tools needed.
"Is all that stuff necessary?" Leif asked and Ava leaned my head and shoulders over the tub.
"Yes. It keeps the dye from becoming splotchy, or clumping. It also makes sure her hair stays healthy." Ava said, brushing the purple against my roots. I shuddered at the cold feeling, giggling at the tickles.

"Ray, stay still, You're gonna make me paint myself purple!" She giggled, swiping the brush along individual locks.
"It tickles!" I barked, and she put a showercap on my head. It muffled noises for a while.

"Humans seem to have a lot of rituals to improve their appearance." Leif noted as Ava left.
"Well... yeah. Media today has given people unrealistic standards of what is attractive or beautiful. It makes people uncomfortable in their own skin, so they use things like hair dye, fancy clothes, and makeup so they don't... don't hate the person they see in the mirror, and constantly compare themselves to others." I said, looking myself in the eye, seeing the people in the mirror behind me.

"Daemos... don't have anything like that. We base things of strength." Leif said, confused.
"That... sounds like werewolves. Everything is strength." I said, chuckling.
"If that is the culture of your people, why do you seem to worry in the same way a human might?" Rhys asked.
"I was raised by humans. I lived in their culture before I discovered my own." I replied.
"Then why are you not apart of the culture you were raised in?" Pierce asked.

"Hmm... because I felt I was better represented in werewolf culture. That community accepted me more than the humans of meif'wa. They gave me... answers. And stability. Comfort" I explained. "Everyone wants comfort."