Chapter 5: The Winner Takes it All

Note from the Authors: There will be some unhealthy, harmful choices made by Elara in this chapter that may upset readers. Please read on with caution.

Elara POV

"You want me to what?!" I ask in disbelief.

Lesso explains to me again, "I want you to represent Evil for this semester's Trial by Tale. It's a great honor to participate, only the top 10 students of Good & Evil are allowed to compete. I misjudged you, I think that you have the potential to do what it takes to last until dawn."

I ask, "What even is the 'Trial by Tale'?"

"Essentially you are sent out into the Blue Forest and you have to avoid mortal death until dawn. Since you are Evil, you can use any spell or talent that you have to defend yourself from traps or attacks other competitors from Good. You will be given a handkerchief that will transport you back if you are in mortal danger, essentially forfeiting the challenge."

"But I'm currently number three in our overall class, at the moment... aren't I already in it?"

"Well yes but the lower the rank you are... the sooner that you enter the Blue Forest. Those extra 15 minutes could allow others to step into traps and knock each other out." Lesso explains further.

I then ask, "What's the catch?"

"You tell me what you put into your Evanescence potion from the first day. You display skill in your Potions & Poisons class that rivals Professor Grimhilde's and yet you have a 'B+' only in that class." Lesso explains, "Why?"

"I have a 'B+' because I like making it a habit of pissing her off." I sarcastically remark.

This sends Lady Lesso laughing, "You are humorous Elara of the Moors, I will give you that." Then bringing back a more serious face, she said, "Tell you what, tell me who taught you Mixology & Spells and it will only be between us"

I ask, "Lady Lesso, have you ever come across the Aesir and Vanir Gods?"

Her face dropped, "I have not, the only gods that I've come across are from the Greek and Roman Pantheons. Even then, they rarely sent people here. Wait... you're not..."

"Technically, I have no blood ties to the Norse gods, but I trained with some for a while. " I admit.

"You trained with Odin?" Lesso asks.

I respond, "Well no, never with the All Father. I owe pretty much everything to Lady Freyja."

"The Queen of the Valkryies.." She said in awe. I nod, she then continues, "That explains your unique fighting style and your abundant amount of knowledge. Tell you what, I'm gonna persuade Grimhilde to bump your grade up to an 'A', but I need you to do me a favor... be the first victor from the School of Evil in 200 years."

I explain, "You know I cannot make any promises Lady Lesso."

"No but if you win, I will allow you free travel anywhere... whether it's the Moors or to Asgard perhaps?" Lesso offered, I looked at her and said, "When is the Trial by Tale?"

Leora POV

"You want me to what?!" I ask with wide eyes.

Dovey explains to me once again, "You will be representing the number 1 position for Good in this semester's Trial by Tale. It's a great honor to participate, only the top 10 students of Good & Evil are allowed to compete.

I ask, "What even is the 'Trial by Tale'?"

"Essentially you are sent out into the Blue Forest and you have to avoid mortal death until dawn. However, because you are good, any spell or talent that you have can only be used to defend yourself from traps or attacks other competitors from Evil. You will be given a handkerchief that will transport you back if you are in mortal danger, essentially forfeiting the challenge."