chapter seventeen

wednesday had been about to fall asleep when a faint knock sounded on her door. she groaned and contemplated not getting up to answer it but she was pretty positive it was tyler.

once she opened it she found her guess was correct. he looked miserable and his eyes were red. she saw a slight glint in them that hinted the hyde wasn't too far away from coming out.

"can i have some of that medicine again?" he asked drearily, his voice quiet and strained.

wednesday didn't have to be asked twice as she moved past him to head down into the kitchen where the medicine was kept, him following after her. she didn't have to ask why he needed or wanted the medicine either, she could tell. she knew.

as she opened the cabinet that contained a lot of her mother's medicines and potions tyler spoke, "she has something for everything, huh?"

it was meant to be a rhetorical question but he wasn't wrong so wednesday replied as she grabbed the bottle she needed, "yes, she does."

he raised his eyebrows in surprise at her answer as she turned to face him, "everything?"

"probably anything you can think of."

"truth serum?"

"yes."

"healing potion?"

"yes."

"lov-" he started to ask but she knew what he was going to say so she cut him off, "yes. stop asking."

he looked like he was about to argue when she rolled her eyes and wordlessly handed him a vial she had poured some of the liquid into.

he gave it a funny look but quickly drank it after he saw the glare she was giving him. she took the vial back and set the medicine back into the cabinet before closing it.

tyler immediately felt a little bit better from the medicine and he had enough energy to tease her, "you shouldn't have let me see where all of these are kept."

she gave him a serious look, "why? are you planning to poison me?"

he let out a small amused scoff, "no. worse."

she rose an eyebrow at him, "oh? do tell."

"i could make you fall in love with me," he smirked.

wednesday hesitated for a moment, trying to figure out how to respond. she knew he was teasing but she wasn't sure if she should go with it and reply with her usual sarcasm or be honest. being honest was the first thing she had thought of which was unlike her. but this conversation only reminded her of her feelings for him.

before the silence became too long she shot him a witty remark, "you must be an awful person if you'd have to use a potion for that."

"oh yeah, i'm absolutely terrible."

she found her mouth saying things before she could decide if she wanted to again, "well it's a good thing i like terrible, then."

he smiled, "well, that's lucky for me."

she knew it was too late to take back what she said, "i suppose so." she turned away from him.