6 - The Battle of Zaofu

Bolin POV

before entering Zaofu

Kuvira's army marched in unison. The same thump was heard every time we stepped. Tanks and jeeps trailed alongside us. I was in the thick of it, right in the middle. My arms swinging in perfect unison with the people next to me. Kuvira waited on her pedestal in front of her metallic banner.  The soldier to my right was no older than 18, he had just joined the army and was fresh out of boot camp. The top of his foot hooked around his ankle and he began to fall. I struck my arm out in front of him so he could catch himself. He gained his composure and glanced at me gratefully, I returned it with a reassuring smile. Kuvira raised her fist, signalling us to stop. My foot struck down next to my other. Kuvira raise her finger and pointed at the soldier. We all turned to look at him. I was dragged into the crowd, backing away from him as he stood still nervously.

"What happened?" She asked in a seemingly empathetic tone.

"I uh- I tripped, Great Uniter. I did not disrupt your army however."

She narrowed her eyes.

"That's quite alright. The army has not been disrupted."

The soldier relaxed his stance a little.

"But I have." Before anyone could do anything, Kuvira drove a blade through his chest, piercing it effortlessly through the body and it landed in the dirt behind him, blood soaking the soil.

"May this be a reminder to anyone who thinks about stepping out of line."

Oh no

Your POV

"Attention citizens of Zaofu." A call over intercoms made me jolt out of my bed. I metalbended my uniform of and ran outside to see Opal, Jinora and Korra.

"What's going on? Is Mom back yet?"

"Your leader, Su Beifong, attempted to attack me tonight while I slept, ignoring the terms of our truce. Luckily, I now have her and her assault team in custody."

I started panicking.

Shit shit shit! 

"Kuvira has her, I'm gonna fucking-!"

"Calm down Y/n-" Korra tried to reassure me.

"NO I'M NOT FUCKING CALMING DOWN! I HAD JUST GOTTEN MY FAMILY BACK AND I AM NOT LOSING THEM AGAIN!" 

"Rest assured that I will not take revenge on the peaceful citizens of Zaofu, unless your remaining representatives meet me outside the city at dawn to offer the full and unconditional surrender of your city. That is all."

Opal rested her hand on my shoulder and turned to Korra.

"Korra, you can't let Kuvira get away with this! We have to go break out Mom and my brothers!"

"You swore an oath of non-aggression when you became an airbender. You can't just attack Kuvira!"

I looked down at Jinora.

"You're right. She may have become an airbender but she was always a Beifong."

Opal and I looked at eachother and then back at Korra and Jinora.

"No one fucks with a Beifong and her family and gets away with it." We said in unison.

"Why is that loudspeaker lady talking while I'm trying to sleep?!"

"Korra, what are we going to do?"

"Jinora and I will go talk to Kuvira at dawn, and, maybe, we can work something out. I promise, I'll do everything I can to keep the peace."