8 - Remembrances

How did we get here?

5 years old

"NO FAIR YOU CHEATED!" I yelled at my older sister after our game of pai sho.

"I DIDN'T CHEAT YOU JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY!"

"Girls what's going on?" Mom asked us.

"Y/n's getting mad because she lost!"

"You cheated!" She didn't exactly cheat, she just threw me off my game.

"Y/n, don't be a sore loser, your sister won fair and square."

"UGH!" I stormed off to my room and slammed the door behind me. As a child I was prone to temper tantrums, a lot.

7 years old

"MOM MOM! LOOK!" I ran up to my mom excitedly and showed off my newly discovered earthbending.

"Sweetheart thats-"

"MOMMY!" Opal ran up to Mom and shoved a drawing in her hands. It was a family drawing and I was off to the side and almost tiny.

"That's great Opal, now let me talk to your... sister." I had stormed off  into the dense trees of our garden. I kept my head down and accidentally bumped into one of the trees. I punched it in my frustration and just kept going until my knuckles bled. I folded my arms as I walked back home. I went into my bathroom and wrapped my hands in bandages. 

8 years old

I had just gotten done with an argument with Opal in which I got in trouble for. Like seriously, if you don't want to get hit with a rock don't go in between two earthbenders sparring. I sat outside with my arms folded, still pissed at Opal and Mom. 

"Is everything alright?" A young guard said sitting next to me.

"I just got into a fight with my sister."

"Oh no, why?"

"I accidently hit her with a rock when I was eartbending training."

"Well then she shouldn't have interrupted your training."

"EXACTLY! Wait, I haven't seen you around that much? What's your name?"

She giggled slightly before telling me.

"My name's Kuvira, I'm the army's new general."

"WOAH! THAT IS SO COOL!"

"What's your name?"

"I'm Y/n."

"Your Su's daughter?"

"Yeah... unfortunately. It's always Opal this, Opal that. I'm a metalbending prodigy! She never pays attention to me."

"Well, I think you're pretty cool for a kid."

"You think so?"

"I know so."

I hugged Kuvira tightly and she hugged back. She was like the sister I wish I had.

10 years old

"AND HERE THEY ARE! The wonderful Beifong family! The two daughters, Opal and Y/n looking radiant!" I was wearing that same dress I wore to the gala, of course then it was too big for me so I had to pin it up. The press conference dragged on before we finally went home.