CH 5

Harry Styles

May 15th, 2014.
11:10pm

You're safe, he's not here. He can't hurt you anymore, Harry.

My pacing ends once the doorbell rings.

It's been an hour since the incident.

I rush to the door, the burly bruised man with Hatch under his arm greets me.

"Are you sure it's okay if I crash here? I'll be out of your hair soon." Marshall stressfully runs is fingers through his hair.

His wounds still open, his lip splitting further open the more he speaks.

"It's no worries, honestly. You're welcome to say as long as you need." I assure, stepping aside.

Normally I wouldn't be too keen about someone, a stranger, sleeping in my house. But there is something in him that reminds me of myself.

He reluctantly walks in, setting Hatch on the floor who trots to his water bowl.

I need to give him a treat later.

"I'll show you to your room and I'll give you some ice for your eyes." I smile at him

We walk down the hallway, "The bathroom is to your right, fresh toothbrush and everything is already in there. I set a fresh towel and some pajamas on your bed. If you need anything my room is across the hall. I can promise you're safe with me, Marshall." I give his shoulder a slight squeeze then I turn around to head to the kitchen.

"Wait, why the fuck are you being so nice to me?" He asks, frustration laced in his tone.

"I know what it's like to be in your position and the only thing I wanted was for someone to save me from it all. Thought maybe you would too." I shrug at him, subconsciously rubbing the scar on the base of my throat.

He nods at my response.

"I'll get you some ice and I'll leave it by your door, rest up." With that I walk toward the kitchen.

Suddenly my phone starts ringing, a number I recognize lights up the screen.

"Hello?" I ask.

Heavy breathing is heard on the other end.

"Detective?"

The breathing stops.

"Blaze?" I lean against the counter, tapping my fingers.

"Blaze, what the fuck is happening?" I uneasily ask.

Screaming.

The phone hangs up.

It feels like I can no longer breathe.

She needs to be okay.

With a racing heart I grab a bag of frozen peas and approach Marshall's door.

I knock then yell through it, "An emergency with a.. friend came up and I need to go for a bit. Make yourself at home I'll write my number down and leave it on the counter if you need it." I set the peas on the ground and head toward the door calling Hatch to come with me.

We take the back way of the building, an empty stairwell that no one knows about.

After successfully avoiding the first responders in the hallway below mine, I make it to my car, ducking from the police vehicles that are parked outside the complex.