CH 1

Blaze Edith

May 15th, 2014.
8:01am.

I scan around the room, my eyes search for any sign of failure.

Blood, teared up fabric, a strand of hair, a broken nail, footprints, perhaps even a handprint on the computer screen.

A single slip up will lead us to whoever did it.

"Any progress?" I ask our forensic team.

Wren shakes her head, "Not much. This is the second governor down in two weeks and the only thing left behind was the same message on a computer." She leads me to the black office table.

I take out my notepad and pen, and write the sentence down.

'The future is female.'

"No fingerprints on the keyboard? Or anywhere around the table?" I double check.

"No, ma'am."

I nod, "Any luck with the security camera?"

She shakes her head.

Another inspection was done before I decided leaving the crime scene. These things are never perfect, the failures just need to be analysed for a little too long in order to be revealed.

Halfway through my fourth lap around the office room I pay attention to the floor. Usually forgotten about, but holds potential for a mistake as simple as...

There it is.

A pink lollipop wrapper left behind by the room entrance.

Typical miss.

People are so intrigued about further entering the room and dissecting what's in it, to the point where they forget about the beginning area of the crime.

I look around, making sure all their backs are turned to me. I then bend down, quietly pick it up and stand up straight as my hand reaches for my pocket. "Wren, I've got a meeting to attend, will you keep me posted?"

"Of course, detective."

"Thank you." I smile politely before exiting the scene and shutting the door. Carefully, I weave through the caution tapes we've put all around the entrance in case another employee attempts to enter the room, and once I'm finally standing in the hallway I begin searching for the elevator.

Once I spot it I press the button and patiently wait for it — Every second spent in the building has been stressful.

It felt the same way yesterday.

Of course, it's nothing compared to the pressure of working on your own case.

To my surprise, Harry was standing inside the elevator with a cup of coffee in his hand — He attempts to enter the hallway and I place my hand on his chest, pushing him back inside it.

"It's no use. I just left the office room and there is no news." I sigh as I push the golden 'G' button.

"Nothing?" He asks, irritated.

"Just the same sentence left behind." I respond as I reach for my pack of cigarettes — As soon as I open it I'm met with five pink wrapped lollipops.

I stare at him with a blank face, earning a smirk in response.

"Are you fucking kidding? Again?" I snap at him.

Harry calmly takes a sip of his coffee, "Don't know what you're talking about." He shrugs.

Styles replaces my cigarettes with lollipops every week, and I'm quite literally about to lose my mind.