CH23

Matthew Sturniolo - Truth.

Her eyes burn into mine, it's hard to move, even a little heard to breathe.

The crowd separates us, like always. Something gets in the way.

I reach for Vienna, she remains still. I push through the women, rest my hands on her shoulders. She doesn't move.

"Vienna, it's me." I whisper, "Vi, come on it's me, you have to get out."

Her hand reaches for my wrist, she tightens her hold until it starts to hurt and I eventually pull away — Her hands reach behind her back, she pulls out a gun.

"Vienna, please."

She points it at herself.

I take a hold of it, but the bullet is already flying.

"Vienna!"

Just like that, I'm brought back to Harry's room. Darkness surrounds me as Nick and Chris continue to sleep, unbothered.

I lay awake, reading the texts I refuse to let go of.

"You deserve everything you've gone through."

"We shouldn't have brought you in."

"I knew you would betray the shelter eventually."

"Weak."

"Don't ever reach me again."

"I loved you."

I loved you. Loved.

"I didn't mean it, Truth."

"Olympia did it, I had no choice she took everything from me, my phone...I am so sorry."

"Please, believe me."

"I love you."

I love you. Love.

Vienna was left behind. I allowed it.

Nick and Chris know just how terrible the shelter is, we know what they do to young soldiers—What she has done to Vienna.

I need to see her.

"Meet me in 30 minutes."

I send the text, attempting to stop my spiralling.

"Chris." I whisper, nudging his shoulder.

He just grumbles and rolls over.

"Kid. Wake up." I push him.

"Fucking what?" He turns over to look at me.

"I need to go see her, cover for me." I get up to grab a hoodie.

"Alright." He shrugs, going back to sleep.

Harry is stupid for leaving the van's keys on the counter. He's basically asking to be robbed.

My phone dings, it's Vienna.

"I'll be there."

_________

Blaze Edith

I wish I could remember the last decent night of sleep I've had—I may lay down and close my eyes but rarely sleep. And when it happens, the problems follow me until they invade my dreams.

There hasn't been a single night in the past years where I have slept a full night.

This one isn't any different. After reading and re-reading every fucking file, refusing to touch certain papers and pacing about fifty-three times I fear this has opened another spiral. A black hole my mind won't close.