Chapter 1

[Do not cause trouble, Meilin,] Mom's voice spoke through the phone, a vain attempt to temper my excessive enthusiasm.

Her words of caution were nothing new to me.

Leaving the phone on speaker, I set it on the polished marble countertop and headed to my walk-in wardrobe filled with high-end fashion, where our staff was busy unpacking the many pieces of luggage that had come with me on this trip.

"You're hurting my feelings now, Mom. You've nagging me even before my plane touched down!" I replied with a playful giggle. "Please, be extra gentle with the third box. It has my custom pieces!" I issued to the movers.

My eyes lit up when I found a table full of desserts, arranged precisely as I had requested. I snatched up three miniature tarts and savored them without a second thought.

I observed our head maid chatting with my mother on the phone, a touch of exasperation on her face. "We'll keep a close watch on her," she dutifully assured, "we know she's quite the troublemaker."

"I'm not!" I sauntered over to the conversation, a playful pout gracing my lips as I continued indulging myself with my sweet treats. "Mom! Come on, I don't need a babysitter! I can handle things just fine!" I declared with determination that they couldn't fathom turning into reality.

My Filipino heritage was a side of my identity I hadn't fully explored. It was a constant curiosity of mine. I grew up in China, a life of luxury, since my family owned one of the biggest companies in the world—the Velez fashion design brand.

However, I yearned to explore life on the other side of the spectrum, a desire that I tirelessly voiced to my parents. And, oh boy, am I a master of persuasion! It took some time, but I eventually won them over. I had a knack for getting my way, and this was no exception.

[Don't speak with your mouth full. Haven't we taught you proper etiquette?] Mom scolded me firmly, hearing my mumbled chatter. [Your school starts next week. Disobey my instructions, and you'll find yourself back here with us.]

I couldn't quite pinpoint the exact moment when I earned the title of a known troublemaker in my family. Perhaps it was the time I decided to try my hand at cooking in the dead of night to avoid the prying eyes of our chefs, only to set the kitchen ablaze. Or maybe it was when I allowed stray animals to infiltrate our property for an entire week, much to the bewilderment of our staff. Then again, it could have been the memorable incident at an exclusive event where I accidentally knocked over the towering chocolate fountain, drenching myself in liquid cocoa and ruining my designer dress in the process.

A week slipped away, and I stood as a third-year high school student. My uniform had yet to arrive, so I was temporarily dressed in a simple dress for the occasion.

"How should address people here?" I inquired curiously.

My fingers flipped through the pages of my Filipino dictionary, eager to grasp this unfamiliar language. I had received private language lessons every year, and now it was time to put that knowledge into practice. Now, more than ever, I needed to immerse myself in the Filipino language!

The head maid expertly weaved her skilled fingers through my hair, arranging my hairstyle for my first day of school. "Typically, you'd address older males as kuya and older females as ate," she mentioned.

I turned around once she had finished clipping the hairpins of my hair. My gaze landed on the name tag pinned to her uniform.

"Ate Chun?" I read.

A warm smile spread across her face, and she nodded in confirmation. "That's right."

Living an upscale life had always posed a conundrum for me. The world around me was steeped in gentility and formality, but I, in contrast, was of adventure and openness.