Chapter 19

The incessant buzzing of my phone pierced through the serene atmosphere of the campsite, drawing my attention away from the rustling leaves and chirping birds. With a sigh, I retrieved my phone from my bag, eyes narrowing at the flurry of notifications.

"Answer your phone, Mei!" The urgent plea from Yanlin flashed across the screen, his name adorned with multiple exclamation marks. I rolled my eyes as I scrolled through the barrage of messages. "This is urgent!"

With a muttered sigh, I shoved the device back into my bag, determined not to let his interruptions derail my focus. I had fought tooth and nail to earn my place as the manager of the Baviera team, and I wasn't about to let Yanlin's theatrics overshadow my dedication.

His calls could wait!

I could practically predict the contents of his "urgent" messages. It was always the same routine—trivial dilemmas disguised as emergencies. I could already envision him agonizing over which designer suit to don, which luxury car to flaunt, or perhaps even which rare fragrance to spray. Yanlin, with his flair for theatrics, was a perpetual source of exasperation.

As the first light of dawn kissed the sky, the Baviera team buzzed with palpable energy. Each face bore the same expression of nervous excitement. Today wasn't just another day of practice; it was the climax of our training, the moment we had all been relentlessly preparing for in this camp.

Today, we were set to face off against our rivals, the Vipers. Their name alone sent shivers down our spines. The sting of last year's defeat still lingered in our minds like a stubborn stain, a bitter reminder of the gap we needed to bridge.

But today, we were determined to scrub it clean.

"Tara na, Eli! Iniiwan na tayo ni Cal!" Zhef's urgent call sliced through the air, snapping us out of our pre-game reverie.

With a flurry of activity, the team gathered their gear, the rustle of bags and the shuffle of feet echoing out of the room. Cal moved with a quiet resolve, his determination evident in every line of his posture.

"Right behind you!" I called out, snatching my trusty notebook and hastening to join the procession.

As we stepped into the gymnasium, the air crackled with anticipation, a tangible energy that seemed to dance between the two rival teams.

The Vipers, with their imposing stature and unwavering confidence, exuded an aura of dominance despite the uncertainty swirling around their newly assembled lineup. Yet, standing opposite them, the Baviera team radiated a fierce determination, their spirits undaunted as they prepared to face their longtime rivals.

Reese, adorned in his Vipers jersey, sauntered confidently towards Cal, his trademark sass etched across his features like a badge of honor.

"I've got my sights set on you," he remarked with a casual smirk, crossing his arms in a display of mock superiority. "But hey, don't worry, I'll make sure to give you a chance to fight back. Not that you stand a chance against me, anyway."

A surge of indignation rose within me, and without a second thought, I stepped protectively in front of Cal, a defiant shield against Reese's taunts. Cal shot me a quizzical glance, but I brushed it off, my focus squarely on the exchange at hand.

"And what if he does win?" I retorted, refusing to let Reese's arrogance go unchallenged. "Don't underestimate him. Cal's not the pushover you make him out to be. He's got more fight in him than you can imagine!"

"Ah, the amateur spy returns," Reese muttered, his eyes narrowing as he recalled my presence during their team's practice yesterday. "Just because you've got that fancy title of 'manager' doesn't mean you know everything."