Chapter 13

"Rise and shine, sleepyhead!" I declared, shaking Cal's shoulder with enthusiasm. "Guess what I've got for you!"

It took a bit of effort, but I finally succeeded in waking him up. I eagerly handed him an ice scramble I'd picked up earlier. However, he swatted me away, and dozed off again, crossing his arms. My excitement turned to horror as the cup toppled over, splashing its icy contents on the floor and drenching his shirt.

The sudden cold shock jolted him awake. He glanced around, realizing the liquid puddle on his lap. In a swift move, he jumped to his feet, rescuing his bag from the impending stream. I quickly offered him a pack of wet wipes, always handy for post-sweet sanitization.

"Anong nangyari?" he inquired, using his towel to mop up the mess while shooting a puzzled look my way. When he spotted the second ice scramble cup in my hand, his expression shifted. "Huwag mong sabihin—"

"You knocked it right out of my hand!" I protested, wearing a pout. "I thought you might be hungry after practice, so I got it for you!"

He frowned, frustration evident in his eyes. "Kahit kailan, laging may aksidente pag nandito ka."

I couldn't help but stifle a giggle at his predicament. "Well, at least you're getting a thorough cooldown, right?" I teased, handing him another towel.

He shot me a quick glare before asking, "Nasaan na ba tayo?"

"We've already reached the third stop!" I replied, taking a bite of the wafer stick dipped in powdered milk. I lifted my feet as he wiped the floor where the spilled ice scramble had dripped. "I've been sightseeing half the city while you were lost in your own world!"

"Dapat ginising mo 'ko."

"Come on, you remember what just happened, right? I tried to wake you up, but you were already grumbling!" I sighed, feeling disappointed about the wasted dessert. What a shame! I could've enjoyed that! "I made several attempts to rouse you earlier, but you were out like a light!"

He nodded, tossing his drenched towel into the trash bin in front. Our classmates soon boarded with their snacks, and the bus set off for the final destination—the reason he'd decided to come along. His subconscious seemed finely attuned to volleyball, knowing precisely when it was time to wake up!

Cal's eyes flickered over their feast, searching for his own. All he found was a leftover protein bar and an almost empty water bottle. I reached into the plastic bag filled with snacks from our previous stops and plunged it onto his lap. Aside from enjoying the scenic views, one of the highlights for me was the selection of snacks I'd managed to snag!

He refused to cast even a fleeting glance at the offerings. "'Di ako gutom," he asserted, his tone firm and resolute.

"But you can't resist good food!" I countered with a mischievous grin. I grabbed one of the chips and intentionally tore the bag. "Oops! Looks like I accidentally opened it! You'll have to eat it now!" I added, injecting a playful tone into my voice.

"Ang kulit talaga," he muttered under his breath, his resistance slowly crumbling as he reluctantly took a bite of the chip. "Salamat."

"Anytime, grump!" I chirped, tousling his hair playfully. "And sorry about your shirt and towel, by the way," I added, a twinge of guilt coloring my tone as I recalled the mess I had inadvertently caused.

To my surprise, he didn't react as he usually did, swatting my hand away with annoyance. Instead, he gently guided it down, his touch gentle. Seems like he remembered the kindness of the person giving him food!

He shrugged. "Hindi naman 'yan 'yong unang beses akong matapunan."

"Why do you always bump into me, anyway?" I laughed with my mouth full of dessert, the sweet taste lingering on my tongue. "Ano ka ba?"