Chapter 3

"Have a splendid day, Madame Meilin!" Junfeng chimed cheerfully as I stepped out of the sleek black car.

It had become a routine—being dropped off at Montessori Academy, a place that, for the past week, had become a part of my daily life. Junfeng, our chauffeur, had learned from his previous slip-up and was now determined not to repeat the same mistake.

A mutual understanding seemed to settle between us, though deep down, I knew it was only a matter of time before I returned to my mischievous ways.

What exactly was the understanding we reached? Oh, who cares! I'm sure it's not worth remembering!

But after a week of staying in Montessori Academy, curiosity tugged me back to Baviera High. I liked that no one associated me with the illustrious Velez name. I could be just Eli, unburdened by the weight of expectations.

On this particular morning, I watched the car drive away before slipping into the convenience store stationed in front of the academy. Darting into the restroom, I quickly shed the Montessori Academy uniform, the fabric falling away to reveal the familiar colors of Baviera High.

I adjusted my tie while striding confidently along the sidewalk. Suddenly, my heart skipped a beat as I spotted Yuu entering the gate. Panic set in, urging me to hasten my steps, praying he wouldn't catch a glimpse of my unmistakable figure.

It would be an awkward situation if he saw me wearing a different uniform!

A sudden realization struck me, stopping me in my tracks. Where was I headed? I was used to being chauffeured around by Junfeng, so my knowledge of directions in the city was embarrassingly limited.

I approached various people, desperately seeking guidance, but the responses I received were a jumble of incomprehensible words. I regretted running away from those Filipino lessons last year!

My eyes lit up with recognition when I spotted the familiar guy I had bumped into a few months ago. There he was, jogging on the opposite side of the street, water bottle in hand, and his shoulder-length hair tied up in a ponytail. Despite having the height of a giant, he had a baby face.

"Hey! You! The stinky guy from before!" I hollered, waving energetically to grab his attention.

He cast a brief, furrowed glance my way but continued jogging as if purposefully ignoring my presence.

A dog zipped past him, momentarily slowing down his momentum. My eyes quickly darted to the number pasted on the back of his yellow jersey. I sprinted with all my might, feeling the beads of sweat trickling down my back.

'#4'

"Ikaw na naman," he mumbled under his breath, a hint of annoyance lacing his voice.

I had caught up to him, panting heavily and wiping the sweat from my forehead. However, he remained steadfast in pretending I didn't exist.

"You're so rude! I called for you multiple times, and you literally ran away from me!" I exclaimed, breathless.

"Ikaw nga 'tong sinisigaw na mabaho ako sa gitna ng kalye," he muttered. His voice was so low-pitched that I almost missed his words.

"I wouldn't have said anything if you didn't smell bad!" I retorted, undeterred. I leaned in to sniff his clothes, prompting him to instinctively back away as if I were some kind of pesky insect. I was right the first time. He still smelled like some kind of sun-kissed concrete. "Showers are a thing, you know!"

He brushed off my statement and hopped onto a crowded jeepney. I followed suit, only to realize that the vehicle was packed to the brim. Attempting to squeeze my way beside him proved futile—it was so crowded that I couldn't even stick a limb in!