Chapter 4

With no classes today, the school buzzed with an unusual energy. The teachers were deep in the throes of preparing for the upcoming periodical tests, leaving us students with a welcome break.

I rose from my desk and gathered some textbooks from my locker. After all, acing those upcoming exams required some serious prep!

The distant hum of voices in the adjacent corridor beckoned my attention. Section 4: Cal's class. A swift glance unveiled their class president, deeply engrossed in animated banter with a girl who clutched a stuffed animal.

With a click, I locked my locker, exchanging enthusiastic greetings with passing students. The friendly banter echoed through the air as I made my way, books in tow, contemplating my next move.

With an unexpected day off, the idea struck me—why not utilize the time to study with Cal? It seemed like a win-win scenario. I could assist him with his impending retake of the summative tests, and, in turn, solidify my own grasp of the material before the looming periodical exams.

Approaching Cal's classroom door with the intention of proposing a study session, I rapped my knuckles against the wood. Peering through the window, I discovered him in the last row, tucked away due to his towering height.

In this moment, stripped of his usual glum expression, he appeared more like a gentle giant, a strange departure from the intimidating figure I often encountered.

As my eyes wandered, they were greeted by a spectacle—an overwhelming sea of presents surrounding his chair. Teddy bears, bouquets, and an assortment of sweets created a colorful display. Some overflowed to the back of the room.

"Natutulog pa siya!" Their class president announced, appearing beside me. "Ilalagay ko na lang ang regalo mo rito para makita niya mamaya!"

Wait a minute! Did she think I was one of the secret admirers of that grumpy guy? Sure, he was attractive, but he still stank!

I shook my head, revealing the folder clutched in my hands. "I'm his tutor!"

With a quick sidestep, she allowed me entry. As I stepped into the room, a friendly wave greeted the students, many of whom I knew from my habit of running around and socializing during every break.

"Pakibigay po ito kay ACE!" A girl's voice caught my attention, prompting me to turn towards the door. She handed a letter to the class president, and her gaze lingered on Cal, her cheeks instantly flushing.

I couldn't resist a mischievous grin as the president collected Cal's gifts, carefully placing them on his chair. "Who knew he had a fan club? And here I thought he was just allergic to socializing!" I quipped.

"Isa siya sa mga mahuhusay na manlalaro sa high school volleyball," she answered while chuckling. "Maraming bumibisita rito sa eskwelahan para lang bigyan siya ng regalo o mapanood siyang maglaro."

I nodded slowly, suppressing a snicker.

Who knew Cal had such a reputation around here? I couldn't believe he had a legion of admirers! I wonder what they'll think when they discover his not-so-impressive skills with girls. He ignores me all the time!

In my attempt to navigate the sea of presents to reach his chair, I accidentally knocked some to the ground. Cal frowned at the sound, pressing his cheek firmly against his arm to find a comfortable position. I tapped his shoulder, progressively increasing the intensity. I didn't know he was such a heavy sleeper!

"Hey..." I called softly while nudging his shoulder. He unconsciously pushed my hand away, clearly nettled in the interruption of his nap. "Cal! You stinky boy! Wake up!" I shouted, growing impatient.