Chapter 25

"Villanueva is struggling against Baviera," the commentator announced, his voice filled with amazement. "They're dominating the court like no other!"

Cal's eyes were focused on the ball, tracking its every movement. He swiftly passed it to Chi-chi, who set the ball towards Van. Van leaped and spiked it precisely. The ball hit the ground on the opponent's side, and the referee's whistle blew, signaling another earned point for Baviera.

This was their second set against Villanueva School of Excellence. The first set had been a breeze for Baviera, who showcased their intense training and unwavering dedication. They were on fire, clearly determined to seize the championship they had been striving for all their lives.

"Come on, one more point!" Gio shouted, rallying his teammates.

"Tapusin na natin 'to!" Kleo exclaimed, slapping hands with Zhef as he took over his position in the back row. "Gutom na ako!"

Skye glanced at him. "Palagi ka namang gutom."

Distracted by Skye's comment, Kleo wasn't fully prepared when the ball came his way, almost shanking it. Zhef chuckled at Kleo's frustrated expression, earning a scolding glance from their coach.

Gio spiked the ball Chi-chi had set for him. However, the opposing team's libero managed to dig the ball up. Sensing the opportunity, Skye and Van swiftly moved into position to form a double block, halting the ball's momentum.

Cal wasted no time when the ball got set up for him. With a powerful swing, he drove the ball between the two blockers on the opposing side, sending it crashing down onto their court floor. The crowd erupted in cheers as the referee blew the final whistle.

Baviera - 25, Villanueva - 21

I hurriedly stood up to hand out their towels and water bottles, hoping to ease the tension after the intense match. Approaching Cal first, I offered him a supportive smile as I handed over his bottle.

"You did really well on that last point. Actually, for the whole game," I started, aiming to spark a conversation. I smiled warmly, though inside, I felt a knot of nervousness tightening. "And your spikes—"

But Cal took the bottle without a word and turned away, leaving my attempt at conversation hanging in the air. It felt like a door slamming shut, shutting down my efforts to reconnect.

We settled into the seats at the arena while waiting for our bus to arrive. Zhef and Skye had already nodded off, heads resting against each other while snoring faintly. They must have stayed up late the night before from excitement, their exhaustion finally catching up now.

The final match of the day began at 7 pm, drawing everyone's attention. Kleo, wide-eyed with fascination, sipped on his buko juice, completely engrossed in the intense showdown between Ilagan National High School and Ferreira Private School.

"And there goes Kaito with a line shot!" the commentator's voice boomed excitedly over the speakers. "He's an exceptional hitter from Isabela. Who knows? Maybe he'll catch the eye of one of the big volleyball teams here in Manila!"

The crowd erupted in applause as Kaito delivered a powerful spike that sailed past the blockers from Ferreira, scoring a crucial point for Ilagan. His movements were calculated as he executed each spike with a stoic demeanor.

His teammates celebrated around him, but Kaito's demeanor remained emotionless like it was another day at practice. Was he a robot or something?

"They won the match," Gio remarked, his arms resting behind his head as he lounged in his seat. "Looks like we'll be up against their team next."