Chapter 27

"We have both captains, Gio and Cassian, at the net for the coin toss to decide which team serves first!" the commentator announced. "The referee flips the coin... and it lands on heads! Baviera will serve first!"

Cal grabbed the ball and walked to the service zone, his face serious and focused. His eyes locked onto the ball as he bounced it a couple of times, mentally preparing himself. When the referee blew the whistle, he tossed the ball high and leaped into the air, hitting it with a powerful serve.

We had switched up the rotation for today's match, putting our most powerful server first to throw off the Vipers' defense right from the start.

The strategy paid off immediately. The ball flew towards Joaquin, who misjudged it and shanked the pass, sending it erratically into the air. The crowd erupted into cheers as Baviera took the lead.

"Great start from Cal!" the commentator exclaimed. "That serve was a bullet!"

Cal served again, but this time, Joaquin managed a clean pass. Reese quickly set the ball towards Cassian, who went for a powerful spike. Gio was ready, reacting swiftly to dig it.

Chi-chi then set the ball to Skye, but it was a feint, with the ball instead flying into Van's palm. Van struck it sharply between the Vipers' blockers, earning Baviera another point.

"Great teamwork from Baviera!" the commentator exclaimed. "They're off to a fantastic start, really dictating the pace of this match."

Despite gaining points, something felt off. The Vipers seemed oddly relaxed, almost too casual. I noticed Shoji's sharp, intent gaze, tracking each of our players with unnerving precision.

Shoji's eyes flickered towards Skye. Anticipating a block, Skye prepared for a powerful spike. But just as Shoji was about to jump, he stopped short, allowing Skye's hit to sail past unchallenged.

"What was that?" a supporter exclaimed, clearly puzzled. "Shoji was already in position to block! Why did he suddenly stop?"

"Did he just let that go on purpose?" another fan questioned.

"He's their star blocker! There's no way he missed that!" someone else chimed in, frustration and confusion evident in their words.

Van served the ball next, and Cam managed a solid dig. The ball flew towards Reese, who jumped to set it for Shoji. Shoji reacted quickly, lifting his hand, but his eyes weren't on the ball. Instead, they were fixed on our players, observing their every move.

As Skye and Zhef jumped to block, a small smirk appeared on Shoji's face, as if his suspicion was confirmed. He then purposefully hit the net, handing us another point.

"Ano 'yon, Three?!" Zhef exclaimed, surprise evident in his voice.

Shoji shrugged nonchalantly. "Nice block," he told the twins, turning his back on them with a calm demeanor.

We fought to maintain our focus, but the unsettling sensation lingered. Shoji's gaze never wavered, his eyes calculating, almost predatory. Each time we scored a point, there was an underlying sense that he had allowed it to happen.

His eyes gleamed with a knowing look as if he was testing us, learning our patterns, and storing that knowledge away for later.

Even the commentators couldn't hide their confusion. "This is highly unusual behavior from Shoji," one remarked, their voice tinged with disbelief. "He's known for his impeccable timing and clever plays. It's almost like he's intentionally letting Baviera take the lead."

"Exactly," their co-commentator agreed, shaking their head. "Shoji is one of the top players in the league, often compared to Yuu in terms of skill. Seeing him play like this is unexpected, to say the least."