Chapter 18

"Akin!"

Baviera faced off against a different group on the second day. The court was a flurry of motion, players darting around, the ball passing fluidly between them, their exertions leaving them drenched in sweat.

Each day, all six teams converged to hone their collective and individual skills. Their shared objective propelled them forward, the resounding thwacks of balls meeting palms and the chorus of teammates' voices egging them on to push their limits.

Meanwhile, I sat on the sidelines, peeling a banana with an unconventional grip, my fingers wrapping around the skin. A quick bite revealed an unexpected texture, one that immediately put me off. The world of fruits and vegetables had never been my forte, their unfamiliar flavors, and textures clashing with my preference for junk food.

I was supposed to eat macaroons today, but Cal's scary look intimidated me!

My attention soon shifted from my peculiar eating habits to the court's far end, where the Vipers were immersed in a rigorous practice match. The Vipers, as I had learned the previous day, stood as one of the state's most formidable teams, securing the second spot among high school volleyball schools. With the looming possibility of facing them in the national championships the following year, this training camp held prime significance for understanding them, as our upcoming rivals.

I rose from my seat, holding my notebook, moving in closer to observe their skills. I carefully scrutinized each player's actions as they moved across the court, paying close attention to their movements and techniques.

I recorded each player's jersey number and began detailing my observations, attempting to gain a deeper understanding of their play style. Such information could provide us with a significant advantage during future matchups against the Vipers.

As an opposite hitter, Leizu ruled the court with ferocious zeal. His aggressive style of play complemented his outspoken demeanor, as he exploited his strength to overwhelm the opposition team. The other players were frequently in awe of his abilities as he boldly fired ball after ball above the net violently.

Reese, the perfectionist setter, held his teammates to exacting standards, often calling them out for errors, especially when his precise setups weren't converted into points. Despite his tough-love approach, his uncompromising demands pushed the team to reach their fullest potential.

Max, their libero, was the most valuable asset of the team. As a back-row player, he had a unique perspective on the game and often found himself in clutch situations. Each time he made a successful play, he would glance at his teammates with a sense of triumph, almost as if seeking their approval.

Cam and Joaquin, the batters, were the team's morale boosters. Cam's encouraging words and positive attitude allowed the squad to play with confidence, making them an unstoppable force on the court. He was always there to lift his teammates and remind them that they could overcome any obstacle that came their way. Joaquin, on the other hand, was the comedic relief of the group. His jokes and witty remarks often lightened the mood and helped keep the squad in high spirits.

Three was the silent assassin of the Vipers. His blocking abilities were unrivaled in terms of craftsmanship. His shy and meek demeanor belied his confidence on the court, as he approached each block with a calm and calculated mindset. His exceptional abilities made him a force to be reckoned with, garnering him the respect of both teammates and opponents.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Reese's voice echoed across the court as he marched straight toward me. "How dare you spy on our team?!" he exclaimed.

His expression grew more disgruntled with each step he took. He confronted me directly with his arms folded and his pigtails bouncing with each rapid movement.