Chapter 9

"Check out the new wheels," Yanlin boasted, his fingers caressing the leather-wrapped steering wheel like a lover's touch. "Limited edition, baby," he added, a hint of pride coloring his words.

I shot him a sideways glance, my expression of irritation. "What brings you here, of all places?"

"Oh, please, darling. It's the perks of being a billionaire. I can go wherever and whenever I please." He scoffed, his tone reeking of entitlement. His eyes flickered over me, and a disdainful expression twisted his features. "Goodness, what are you wearing? It's horribly ill-fitting, and that fabric... I feel like throwing up."

My eyebrows knit together in confusion as I glanced down at my attire. I was clad in a Baviera uniform from head to toe, topped off with a cardigan I had lovingly knitted myself. To me, it was a symbol of hard work and dedication, but apparently, it needed to meet his lofty standards.

My eyebrows knit in confusion as I glanced down at my attire. What was wrong with it? I was clad in a Baviera uniform, topped off with a cardigan I had lovingly knitted myself. I had worked so hard to earn this uniform! I didn't need his lofty standards!

My annoyance surged, ready to spill forth in a torrent of words, but it froze in my throat as I caught him scrutinizing the logo on my uniform. At that moment, I realized with a sinking feeling that my carefully guarded secret, hidden attendance at another school, had been laid bare before him.

"I... I don't know you!" I impulsively declared, cutting off any chance for him to respond.

My heart raced as I sprinted away, clutching the notebook tightly against my chest. The gravity of the situation settled over me—I was in deep trouble now.

Now, he had uncovered my hidden reality and the worst part? He was undoubtedly going to tell to Mom!

He made a feeble attempt to summon me with a punch of the horn, but we both knew, perhaps more than anyone else, that his efforts were futile. The Velez family boasted other members who shared my stubbornness and determination, bound by the same indomitable spirit that flowed through our veins.

The students turned in unison to investigate the commotion. They were caught off guard by a sight of an expensive sports car by the gate.

He emerged from the car, an irritated expression etched on his face as he clicked his tongue in annoyance, adjusting his glasses with a quick, irritable motion.

I hastened my steps, only to abruptly fall to my knees due to an unsteady movement. My eyes welled up with tears as the searing pain from the bleeding in my knees intensified. The rough cement ground had torn at my skin, leaving behind a trail of discomfort and visible wounds.

"Eli!" I raised my eyes to find Blue approaching with a genuine look of concern etched across her face. "Okay ka lang?"

She hurried to my side, offering a helping hand to get me back on my feet. With a brisk shake, she cleared the dust from my skirt.

I sniffed, shaking my head. "No..."

Blue held a crochet in her hand, while Lara clutched a stack of study cards as they strolled together. It looks like they were engaged in reviewing for the upcoming periodical examinations before our unexpected encounter.

"May problema ba?" Lara asked, her eyes searching for any signs of distress.

I immediately nodded, glancing toward the gate. There he was, attempting to sway the guard with a handful of money for entry. He's so embarsssing!

"I have a stalker! He's following me!" I explained urgently. Well, it wasn't technically a lie!

Lara's eyebrows shot up, her gaze following the direction I pointed. Crossing her arms, she marched assertively toward the gate. My eyes widened as I watched her confront him fearlessly, even though it was evident that the man wielded a considerable amount of power.