Chapter 23

"Eli, gusto pa raw ng kanin no'ng mga customers," Miko called out.

I nodded quickly, wiping the sweat from my brow with the back of my hand. Grabbing a tray of freshly steamed rice, I hurried over to the table on the side. The customers, a group of construction workers still in their dusty uniforms, nodded in appreciation as I refilled their plates.

Finally, the flow of customers began to dwindle. I glanced at the clock on the wall and saw it was already 11 pm. I leaned against the counter, letting out a long sigh of relief. Just as I was about to take a well-deserved break, the incessant dinging of the bell at the entrance jolted me back to attention.

"Sinigang nga po!" I quickly wiped my hands on my apron and grabbed a plate to get his order. "Eli? Is that you?"

I froze, the familiar voice sending a jolt of surprise through me. Raising my head slowly, I found myself face to face with Gio, his expression mirroring my astonishment.

But he wasn't alone.

Behind him stood the rest of the Baviera team.

Judging from their sweaty foreheads and weary figures, it was clear that they had just finished training. The sight of them together, clad in their training gear, brought back memories and emotions. Of course. It made sense. This was their routine during breaks—heading out to grab a meal together to refuel their energy.

"Manager!" Kleo's playful shout pierced the air, ignoring Gio's futile attempts to stop him from jumping over the counter. He embraced me tightly, and I reciprocated with similar enthusiasm. "Buhay ka pa pala!"

"Na-miss ka namin!" Zhef's voice chimed in, his eyes glistening with mock tears. He tried to follow Kleo's lead and join the hug, only to be thwarted by Van. "Wala tuloy nagpapatunay na mas marami akong block kay Skye!" he lamented, referring to our shared passion for analyzing their games and tracking their progress.

Seeing them after so long gave me an immense sense of joy. Despite being two weeks apart, it felt like no time had passed. They were still the same rowdy, lovable bunch I had grown to cherish.

"Ito ba 'yong dahilan kung bakit ang tagal mong nawala?" Kleo's voice held a note of concern as he scrutinized my exhausted appearance, his brows furrowing with worry. "Pinagsasabay mo 'yong pag-aaral at pagtatrabaho?"

My breath caught in my throat at his question, my gaze dropping to the floor as a wave of guilt washed over me. They didn't even know half the truth about why I had been absent for so long. The weight of my secrets felt suffocating.

"Hey, I respect that," Gio's voice cut in, his tone laced with an understanding born from his own struggles. "It's a real struggle, you know? Balancing your own needs with those of your family. It's not easy."

"Akala niyo lang 'yon."

My heart lurched in my chest as I turned to face Cal. He had just entered the place, glaring at me. The sight of him sent a pang of guilt coursing through me, a relentless reminder of the betrayal I had inflicted upon him.

"Cal..." My voice faltered.

He scoffed at the sight of me working. "Pakitang tao."

As I watched them eat and laugh together, a heavy weight settled in my chest. I longed to reach out, to plead for forgiveness, but the words remained trapped in my throat, stifled by the fear of rejection.

Cal finished his meal first, his departure swift and unannounced. I wanted to follow him, to explain myself, but my legs felt like lead, rooted to the spot by my own indecision. The opportunity slipped through my fingers, leaving me standing alone in the eatery, consumed by regret.