110. 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑉𝑖𝑠𝑖𝑡𝑜𝑟

Queen

Two days passed since that night. Two torturous nights of having to pretend that he was the man I loved. He was getting better, I had to admit- he was doing his research. There were times when he was speaking and my mind glimmered over the idea that I had dreamed up that entire night...I wish I was stupid enough. I wish that I could give into the illusion of him, but I knew that meant giving up on the real Syn who I knew was out there and breathing. I could feel him. He was okay— stressed and angry, but okay.

I sat across from him, avoiding eye contact as I pushed the eggs around on the plate. The past two mornings had been like this— him knocking on my door every morning and calling me down for breakfast. It was this or breakfast in bed, which he had offered before. No fucking way. I didn't want to be around him as is- let alone anywhere near a bed.

"You're not eating," he pointed out and I glanced at up him, willing myself to snap out of my daze as I cleared my throat.

"Sorry, I haven't really had the appetite," I said, giving him a quick smile before looking down at the plate.

"Because of your period?" He asked.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes- this being the possible tenth time he'd asked me about it in the past two days. I reined it in, clearing my throat a bit before setting down my fork. "No, it's not that—"

"Is that still going?" He asked, setting down his utensils and clasping his hands together under his chin. I nodded, uncomfortable under his gaze as I looked anywhere else. "Do you know when it will end?"

"Why do you care so much?" I finally snapped, looking at him.

He smiled at my small outburst before looking down at the table and shrugging. "I can't just miss you— miss touching you...being in bed with you?" He questioned, eyeing me for my reaction.

Act natural.

"I miss you too." I breathed out. "But you were right— it's better this way."

"I knew you'd come around." His hand moved on top of mine, giving me a small squeeze and I forced a smile onto my face. After a moment, he stood up— the chair screeching under him as he pushed it back and walked around the table. I kept my eyes on him as he held on to my hand and lowered himself onto one knee beside me. "I do truly love you, Queen. I may have a funny way of showing it sometimes, but I do. My world has become all about you from the moment I saw you..." He rubbed his thumb over my hand.

Who are you?

"I- I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything." His fingers moved to my chin and I swallowed the bile creeping its way up my throat as he looked down at my lips. He leaned into me, and I froze as his eyes met mine. For a moment, I actually could've sworn it was Syn. He had his eyes, his face...his lips. Every physical attribute of Syn's that I was beyond in love with was right in front of me, but it wasn't him.

I coughed violently, not bothering to cover my mouth as he cringed and withdrew from me. He stepped back, not daring to try to kiss me as he looked at me in disgust. I cleared my throat and pat my chest. "Gosh, I don't know what came over me. I'm sorry."

"It's fine." He wiped his face, letting go of my hand and standing up. He walked to the kitchen and I let out a silent breath of relief.

One more day. Syn had one more day before I decided to deal with this asshole on my own.

"I was thinking," he said with his back to me as he grabbed a glass from the cabinet. Oh, great. "Maybe we should go on a vacation somewhere. Surely you don't want to stay here...the service isn't even working."