episode 14 - SOMETHING IN THE WAY

[ Now playing... Something In The Way - Nirvana ]

0:17 ——— 3:53

The sun had already set, the only light filtering in through your living room window was from a street light. You sat on the third stair with your knees pulled up to your chest, your wrist ached and your heart wrenched. What the fuck.

Your head hurt, your temples felt hot, like searing flames erupted just under your skin—burning everything in sight, leaving behind a tender ache that rippled across your forehead. There were dried tears on your cheeks, you weren't sure if that was what caused the headache or the use of Kieri's quirk. Nothing was certain, except for the pounding of your heart in your ears.

You didn't know where your parents were, and you didn't know where Katsuki was. He messaged you he was on his way, but that felt like ages ago. You desperately hoped he'd be alright.

If Kieri Yanaka, one of the bitchiest yet most compassionate kids you used to know, got tainted by the League of Villains' evil; what could stop them from reaching your heroes? What could stop Tomura Shigaraki from killing you before anybody could do anything about it?

It wouldn't be the first time you stared death in the face as his fifth finger threatened to close on your throat. He targeted you, for reasons unknown, at the U.S.J incident. You were curious as to why, but you were also morbidly afraid. In two days, which marks seven days after the Sports Festival, you'd have to choose who you're going to train under for a set amount of time, which all depends on who wanted you to come to their agency.

If Tomura Shigaraki could break through U.S.J's defenses, what could stop him from materializing through a portal and destroying the agencies?

You shivered, holding your arms closer to your body. Was going to an agency even a good idea? You knew that being accepted to train under Pros is one of the best things a starter Hero can do for their ever-growing career, but you wondered if any of the other Heroes in the past had crazed villain masterminds corrupting their childhood friends and trying to murder them every chance they got?

Needless to say, while the routine beeping of the stove's clock and the distant sound of cars rushing past filled the suffocating silence, you were distraught. Distraught and overthinking.

Kieri's younger self suddenly seemed a lot farther away than it usually did; the memories of walking hand-in-hand to school and kicking rocks seemed to dissipate like fog. The giggles the two of you basked in while sharing wired headphones and painting each other's nails felt like you made it all up.

You may have had your issues with Kieri in recent years, but you will never forget the concern they'd show you when anything went wrong; especially that time, granted it always seemed to wrap back around to something they did, they found you after school crying your eyes out like a baby; you'll never forget the sound of their voice as they tied your bangs up over your forehead and wiped your tears away, a cheery, "There you are, Y/N! Can 'ya give me a smile like old times?" followed by a sudden breeze which made the cloud hanging over your head move out of the sun's ray.

Kieri Yanaka is, and always has been, a troubled child, but they were, once, your best friend. Even if you didn't quite know why.

You struggled with anxiety like raging tides, and you also struggled with many other things you hated discussing—a person like Kieri Yanaka is the exact definition of someone who would oppress you in social settings, so how the hell you two even ended up friends? You didn't know. Loud, something you were only once comfortable; Obnoxious, yeah, that tracks for both of you, or so you'd like to think; Oddly conceited? If only you had enough grasp over your thoughts to redirect them kindly to yourself—you lifted your head, looking up into your dim living room for the first time in a while.