Shadow - Pirate AU

Idea: Part two to 'Shadow - Pirate AU'. While attacking another ship, Y/n ends up getting killed. Shadow is devastated. Years pass and he finds out they were actually alive.

Key:
Y/n = Your name
L/n = Last name

Warnings: Mention of death

Category: Romantic

-

The ship slowly sunk as water filled it. Bits and pieces fell off into the water. Fire spread just as much as it went out. The waves pushed the ship around as the water consumed it. The captain of the winning ship was held back from running into the water. He yelled and tried to make his crew members let him go. He watched as the ship fully went under the water.

Shadow ran to the railing once Sonic and Knuckles let him go. He stared at the water as tears ran down his cheeks. "They had already passed Captain. There was no saving them." Sonic spoke softly to his hurting captain. "No. No- No! I don't believe you! They can't be- No!" Shadow hit the railing, he knew Sonic was right, he just couldn't believe Y/n was dead. He didn't want to believe it.

The crew all stood around, allowing their captain to mourn. Some of the crew, who had known Y/n for years were also mourning. Everyone liked Y/n, none of the crew wanted them dead. They were all upset at this. Everyone didn't know what to do now. Y/n helped so much, things could never be the same without them. No one could go back to how things were before Y/n joined them. Shadow could never.

The two were only married for two years before this happened. Shadow didn't get enough time with them. No amount of time would have been enough for him. Two years was far too short for Shadow. Since Y/n's death, Shadow became closed off and rude. He still cared for his crew and protected them but most of the time it seemed as though he didn't care.

It took a long while for Shadow to go back to looking for treasure. His crew was the one that did most of the work, he did give most of the treasure to his crew as well. Shadow didn't care for it. He only got it so his crew could have what they wanted. Years passed and Shadow only got a bit better. His crew was doing better though, that's all he cared for at the moment.

The crew and captain had decided to stop at an island that has been said to be very dangerous because of the mysterious monster. His crew wanted to be the ones to stop the monster, get the money for catching it. Shadow decided to not join them. Instead he just roamed the island. He made his way into the dense forest. Shadow looked around and after a while he looked up in the trees once more. He noticed something off about them.

There were what seemed to be bridges that went tree to tree and at each tree there was a building. Shadow narrowed his eyes at this. He began to climb a tree, one that leads to one of the buildings. Once he reached it, he got on it. He looked around and noticed someone else was up here. The figure wasn't looking at Shadow, their back was turned. The figure was knelt down and seemed to be using a makeshift bow.

Shadow quietly walked up behind the figure, he noticed the bow was aiming right at a new crew member of his. He grabbed the back of the figures shirt and pulled the back roughly. This caused them to drop their bow. They were about to punch Shadow only to stop immediately, a mask covered their face so Shadow didn't recognize them. He glared at them, "Ah, so you're the 'monster' huh? Come on. Finish that punch." He balled his fist.

The figure lowered their fist and put their hand over the lower part of their mask. "Shadow.." The figure spoke, causing Shadow's anger to immediately disappear. He knew that voice all too well. They took off their mask, a few tears fell down their cheeks. "Y/n?" They gave a nod. "You're..You're not dead.." His voice was soft. Soon a bit more anger filled him. "You've been here all this time?" Y/n nodded.