Chapter 11. Special

The auditions for Sarthak Pawar's dance project were over and the response to it was overwhelming. Lakhs of dancers from various colleges had applied, and our chances of getting in seemed slim. Though, I was already aware of my result, I was still anxious for Akshay.

After a month of waiting, all of us were gathered in front of Jiya's laptop, and Ritvik Bhaiyya had opened the link for the official announcement of the results.

"Let's pray before it starts," Vibhan said.

We closed our eyes and prayed.

Please, Bhagwan Ji, let Akshay get in. Please, please, please. I don't want to go without my best friend.

The countdown to the live stream began, and our heart rate kept rising.

"Whatever the result will be, I am proud of you guys," Ritvik Bhaiyya said.

Akshay and I smiled, but I could sense Akshay getting tense. He kept cracking his knuckles and rubbing his thighs in impatience. I offered him my hand.

Akki didn't think twice and grabbed my hand in a tight grip. I bit my inner cheek as the force was too much. Still, I decided to bear with it since my chuddy buddy was hyperventilating.

Soon, the screen lit up with a light blue glow and a petite girl in a long yellow gown appeared on screen.

"That's Yamika Sharma! I watch her serial everyday!" Pratik yelled excitedly.

"Shut up!" everyone replied.

Shlok pouted but kept admiring one of his favourite actresses in low voice. The host of the live stream welcomed the viewers and started recalling the auditions that were held all over India.

A small video showing various short clips of the competitors played and after that the judges appeared on the screen. They started sharing their views and feedback.

"When will they announce the results? I am getting bored," Yasir said.

"Right? They stretch this shit too much. Just get on with the main stuff already," Rehman added.

"Patience is the key, kids," Ritvik Bhaiyya advised.

Painstakingly, we watched the host drag on the event for another hour before she clapped and began announcing the names of the selected contestants.

Fuck, if Akki grips my hand with more strength, my bones will break.

One by one, the names flew out of Yamika Sharma's mouth and our hearts kept doing tumbling every time she took names that started with 'A' and 'B'.

Our hopes started shrinking when none of our names were called even after passing the 37th position.

I was sure my name would get called any moment, but Akshay's paling face ate up all my excitement.

Just when I opened my mouth to encourage my friend, the host yelled "And our forty third dancer is.... Akshay Nandite! Congratulations!"

Akshay's eyes widened, and he blinked rapidly. "Did I get selected?"

"Of course, you did, asshole!" Shlok jumped in joy.

Akshay looked at me, and we both screamed. "Yes!"

All of us jumped on Akshay and hugged him.

"You did it, Akki. Yoohoo!" I exclaimed.

Akshay's voice cracked, and we all patted him. His eyes had reddened. I knew he was overcome with lots of emotions but he wasn't going to cry.