Chapter 18. True love

"Radhe Radhe!"

"Radhe Radhe!" I yelled.

With a great cheer, I bowed in front of the RadhaKrishna idol and started my work. Among the soft tunes of flutes and bhakti songs, I took care of the guests in the satsang.

Unlike other events where my ears are always on the verge of bleeding, I was enjoying the calm atmosphere; I wished to work with Mom in such events in the future.

While the guests were intently listening to the Guruji's teachings about living humble lives, I roamed around with a tray full of water cups, trying to earn some good karma.

Karma... It reminds of me of what Arushi had said.

As if Guruji had read my mind, he began the topic of good karma and its importance. While working, my ears were busy absorbing the lectures intended for the guests. By the looks of it, the event seemed high-profile.

I made my way towards the front row, nodding to myself as I agreed with Guruji's words. Before coming to work, I was really angry at my mother. I didn't understand why she worked so hard when our family could survive on whatever we were earning at the moment.

Yes, money was really important and the first priority, but my mother also needed to learn the importance of taking a break in-between. I hoped Mom would also listen to satsang because she never listened to me.

"Thank you, beta," an uncle said as he took a cup of water from the tray.

"You are welcome, Uncle. Radhe Radhe." I smiled.

"Radhe Radhe." Uncle greeted.

Like this, the sweet chants of 'Radhe Radhe' filled my surroundings, and I moved towards the area where women were sitting on the velvet mat. I moved my tray in front of them.

"Aunties, do you want water?" I asked.

Some women were chatting among themselves, so I waited for them to notice me. After a few seconds, they did and picked up a few cups. I moved forward and noticed a hand stretching out to grab a cup of water.

"Radhe Radhe, aunty," I said and looked at the woman.

The moment I locked my eyes with that woman, the time seemed to slow down. She was none other than Jaiswal Aunty, whom I had helped just a few hours back. While my lips tried to maintain their upward curvature, Jaiswal aunty's hand stopped mid-air.

Slowly, she retracted her arm, and I saw her face contorting as her eyes roamed over me quickly. She closed her mouth, the greeting ending before it left her lips.

"I am not thirsty," Jaiswal Aunty said.

"Come on, Jyoti, this is satsang's water. We will be blessed if we take it," another woman said.

I looked at that woman - she was Viraaje madam, Hriaan's mother. I snapped my eyes back at Jaiswal Aunty and observed their exchange with curiosity.

Jaiswal Aunty seemed to be in thought for a minute before she plastered a huge smile on her face and shook her head. "I am good. I will drink if I am thirsty."

Viraaje madam shrugged and took a cup from the tray. She thanked me, and I smiled back at her. Even though my curious mind was telling me to stay there, I moved my feet and completed my work of distributing water.

After that, I was indulged in other chores, but my gaze kept shifting back to where Hriaan's mother and her friend, Jyoti Jaiswal, were sitting. I kept repeating their names like a broken tape-recorder.

Viraaje, Jaiswal... Viraaje, Jaiswal... Hmmm... both women are friends... Viraaje aunty is Hriaan's mother... So then Jaiswal Aunty could be...

"Bhoomi!" Mom yelled.