Chapter 9. The difference

With one stomp on the stage, I began my dance routine. One by one, everything around me seemed to be getting engulfed in a lavender tint, and soon, I was in my zone. All the stage fright and tension dissolved into thin air.

My mind was empty and in a state of calm. I could feel music with each of my senses, and I was awed by its power every time. I was happy, enthralled; I loved the feeling of my soles touching the stage in tune with every beat and my body rippling like the music's changing wavelengths.

I love this! I wish I could keep dancing like this all my-

"Cut it!"

The shrill voice rang into the speakers, overlapping with the song that was switched off abruptly.

My feet automatically stopped, and I froze like a statue in a pose that must have looked like me doing a parody dance.

"Shut the fucking music off!" Sarthak Pawar yelled again into the mike.

Soon, all of the background music was switched off and the stage lights were turned back to normal from the spotlight.

I blinked rapidly and came into normal stance. I gulped nervously when Sarthak Pawar dropped his mic on the table.

The MC motioned at me to stand in the middle of the stage, and I did the same. Soon, my forehead was lined with sweat in the fear that I had messed up. My performance must have been really pathetic that the main judge had to cut the performance in the middle.

The MC took a nervous gulp himself and glanced at me shortly before looking at the judges.

"What's the matter, Sir?" MC asked.

Sarthak Pawar cracked his neck muscles and mumbled something to other judges. After a few minutes, some judges nodded while others shrugged their shoulders.

Sarthak Pawar took the mic. "I am bored. Like, really bored."

Was he saying that because of me?

"Guys, where's the creativity? Same old moves, same fucking choreographies over and over again... I can't even remember how many of you just danced till now."

Sarthak Pawar showed his disappointment and glanced at me and then at the remaining dancers.

"Damn, so many of you still left. I am hundred percent sure all of you are going to be the Xerox copies of the previous dancers. If I am wrong, then feel free to correct me."

Pin drop silence.

"As expected." Sarthak shrugged.

I guess it must have had been only about two to three minutes before Sarthak Sir addressed me, but it felt like hours.

"So, Bhoomi, right?" Sarthak sir asked.

I nodded like a toddler and took the mic from MC.

"You were going to do a classical number after the hip-hop?"

"Yes," I replied in a low voice.

"How many classical and hip-hop dancers present right now?"

Dozens of hands were raised in the air. Sarthak Pawar exchanged glances with other judges.

"If I am going to see similar performances one after another, then I would have just picked up my students and the well known dancers for my project. Do you even get the point of this audition?" Sarthak Sir asked, his voice hinting his anger at us.

No one said anything. I gripped the mic tightly and looked at Akshay. He nodded in assurance, but I felt like I was the reason for Sarthak Sir's outburst.