Chapter 25. Worry

The thought of discussing the morning incident with Mom went down the drain as I fell like a corpse once I reached home. I didn't even have strength to eat dinner and change clothes.

My family didn't bother me, and Mom prepared breakfast earlier than usual so I could eat as soon as I woke up. My mind felt foggy, and it took me approximately two hours to get all of my senses back.

My whole body was hurting, and my heart kept picking up pace as the time of my final performance kept inching closer.

Dhara Di kept scolding me to not zone out and only focus on my dance performance, but I knew she wanted to appear well when actually she wasn't. Even though I didn't interrogate her and Mom since Dad was present, I noticed how both women were trying to act normal and show that nothing was wrong.

I played along as I also didn't want to unnecessarily worry my father who already had a lot of burdens.

After finishing my morning routine, Akshay arrived on time, and we left to catch our train.

"I am really scared, Akki," I said.

"Why? You have TJ as your team leader. I know your routine is going to be fire," Akki said proudly.

"I think Tejas will set me on fire if anything goes wrong."

"What?"

"Nothing." I distracted him. "By the way, you look really confident."

Akshay's face glowed like a star. "My team is fucking awesome, Boom Boom Boomer. Even though we don't have TJ, we will still give everyone else a tough competition."

I nodded as I agreed with his point. His team not only had him, but Suhana and Kshitij also who were pro in their fields. After hearing my best friend boast about his team members, I felt my anxiety rising. My situation was completely opposite of his.

While Akshay was living the best moments of his life alongside his teammates, I felt like a burden on my team. Tejas's frustrated face kept flashing in front of my eyes till we reached the dance studio, and finally, Tejas's real face came into my view.

I wasn't late this time, but I was prepared to receive a scolding anyway. Tejas was busy giving some tips and correcting postures of other teammates, so I approached him slowly.

Once I properly saw him, I breathed a sigh of relief as he looked relaxed. I took my time to observe him: like his usual style, he was clad in a yellow t-shirt and black three-fourths, accompanied by white sneakers and a smart watch on his left wrist.

Ever since I got to know him, I had seen him in only these types of clothes in all of his dance videos, except a few where he was wearing traditional clothes or cargos or jeans. Not just at this moment, but I had always ended up observing his little details and noticed instantly if there was any change.

Thus, when I spotted a multi-colored hand-woven bracelet on his right wrist, I kept staring at it. There was nothing wrong with that accessory, but a small pendant with letter 'A' dangling from it made my mind build up various imaginary scenarios.

I guess it is the first time I am seeing him wearing a bracelet.

So? Why don't you focus on what 'you' are wearing? Both of your toes are sticking out of your shoes; you still haven't stitched up the hole in your t-shirt; the left sleeve will surely fall off if Akki pulls it one more time; your hair looks like a nest; that pimple on your nose is really distracting, and when will you start doing-

"Don't you think you are standing too close?"

I furrowed my eyebrows as my inner voice slowly faded, getting replaced by my team leader's low-toned voice.