five ❦

Ditto . NewJeans

Seolyeon was only expecting a chair to be broken

Seolyeon was only expecting a chair to be broken. She didn't expect a table with it. She also didn't expect the long hours of crying her rather immature sister would torment her with, but she was forced to stop it.

As such, Seolyeon was forced to promise her little sister a fortune of gifts.

The problem? She had no money.

Now, Seolyeon would never burden Master Yunjin with something so materialistic. It would destroy her pride, and not to mention, would be extremely rude. Yet, Seolyeon had no way of gaining income—her and her sister's life was simply possible due to her parents' extensive funds. Seolyeon would only gain access to those when she ascended to being a nomad, so utilizing the mass amount of money was out of the option.

Maybe, she'd make a living in the Northern Water Tribe—perhaps they'd enjoy her calligraphy as most elderly did.

It was well after the moon set and the nightlife had died down where Seolyeon lay upon her cot, simply contemplating.

She despised being logical—thinking was simply not fun. Yet the thoughts of the future were odd. She couldn't believe she was leaving the air temple, her family, her friends, and the magnificent cuisine that was her home for the wildlands on the ground.

She couldn't imagine a world without clouds surrounding her every step. She found it rather peculiar that in a day's time, she'd be on land, surrounded by the luscious abundance of emerald plants she'd only heard of.

"Yeonnie...?" a small, rather muffled voice called out into the stone house.

"What?" Seolyeon called out, almost yawning as she turned on her side, glancing at her sister's bed a few feet away.

"Do you really have to go...?"

Seolyeon let out a harsh sigh. She didn't know how to respond.

Truly, no one was forcing her to go, to leave and participate in a tournament across the lands.

Her mind, however, seemed to be pushing her toward the opportunity. Seolyeon felt like she had to leave not because of the invitation but rather because of her wishes. She wanted to travel, to see and discover the art of bending in other forms.

How could she do that at home?

If she could take Seolhwa with her, she would. She would do so in a heartbeat. She would bring Zhumi along as well—mostly to keep herself in check.

"I'll be back soon, Seolhwa. I promise," Seolyeon whispered into the silent night. "Go to sleep. We have a long day tomorrow."

For a few moments, there was just silence. Then, she heard shifting, cloth against straw followed by silent footsteps until Seolyeon's eyes were covered by a block of hair.