twelve ❦

Dope Lovers . DPR Ian

The sun had settled as dusk approached, and for the first time since arriving at the Northern Water Tribe, Seolyeon took a moment to appreciate the stars

The sun had settled as dusk approached, and for the first time since arriving at the Northern Water Tribe, Seolyeon took a moment to appreciate the stars. She'd been walking next to Jungwon in a comfortable silence until the urge to glance at the moon took over her. The night sky was a canvas for fate, Master Yunjin had once told her. She'd referred to the constellations as the stories of a person, and that the brightest star was the star of the King, of the one who'd have enough power to change the world.

Whenever Master Yunjin would speak of the skies, Seolyeon's mind would drift back to the stars, each striving to shine brighter than the others. She would wonder which stars she was born under, and how accurate their depictions were of her life.

Tonight was no different, as she dozed off amongst the night of comfort.

Jungwon stood next to her, uninterested in both the galaxies and the city. Through the comfortable silence, his mind was riddled with thoughts, unable to contain themselves as he had no distractions ahead of him.

News of Zin's endeavors would arrive soon—he was sure of it. The wait seemed to gnaw at him, of whether the maniacal man his father was so fond of had allowed for peace or destruction. Jungwon knew the answer. Perhaps, he was simply hopeful.

His eyes eventually landed on Seolyeon's awed face, and once again, found himself lost amongst the moonlight. Jungwon wondered how it felt to feel the world at her fingertips, ready for her to explore and take in, travel and learn of. He was sure she'd revel in the freedom of traveling and the people she'd meet along the way, at the vast amount of food and sweets waiting for her to taste. She seemed to enjoy exploring the city, noting her every experience in a journal for recollection.

A simple glance at her, and his mind had ceased to spew.

Seolyeon finally returned to the Earth as she felt a stare on her side, turning to look at Jungwon, who didn't bat an eye at the sudden eye contact. Despite the unbearable chill, her face warmed as she quickly turned forward.

"We have to go back soon," she mumbled, slightly disheartened at the thought. She'd been enjoying her day of freedom, accomplishing her original goal of competing—to simply explore.

Jungwon hummed, glancing at the controlled, calmly flowing waters of the canal. "We still haven't toured the city by water?"

Seolyeon followed his gaze, a smile quickly making its way forward as she pulled Jungwon along to the small dock with an old boatsman.

"Excuse me?" she called out, grabbing the man's attention.

"What can I do for you today, my lady?" the man asked, finishing cleaning the mid-sized boat.

"Could we...tour the city via the canals?"

Within minutes, the two had gotten comfortable on the boat, sitting beside each other as they prepared to set off. The breeze was stronger near the waters, and Seolyeon found herself having to tug her coat tighter. She hadn't expected the boat ride to be shaky, though she supposed that was simply the moon's effect on the waters. No matter how skilled a bender is, nature would always take its course first.