fourteen ❦

Ophelia . The Lumineers

"Defense," Jungwon mentioned as he opened the door to their midnight practice room—a storage room toward the far east corner of the academy grounds

The two had spent a night simply clearing the dust for practical use, though Jungwon wouldn't ever tell Seolyeon that he'd requested for such a room.

He made way for Seolyeon to enter before gently closing the door behind him, tossing Seolyeon a roll of white cloth as the girl scowled.

"Defense? We've been working on defense for the past three days!"

"That just speaks of your own abilities," he mumbled, removing the heavy coat in favor of lighting a makeshift fireplace.

Seolyeon scoffed, slapping his shoulder harshly. "I heard that! And your offense isn't great either!"

Jungwon frowned, subtly massaging his shoulder as a light scowl painted his face. "We can work on that tomorrow then, deal?"

Seolyeon eagerly nodded, a smile on her face as she finished wrapping the cloth around her palms. She noticed the roughness of her fingers, how they'd calloused from the intense physical training to the point where she hadn't had time to take care of her skin. She hadn't had much time for anything these days—she'd been far too focused on distracting herself more than anything. Though she tried to distract herself as she always did by sparring with Jungwon till her mind couldn't do anything but rest, she was preoccupied with the words of her beloved cousin.

Sunoo had come to her an hour prior, with eyes hollowed, devoid of life and reason. He'd come to her with a silent determination to drop out of the tournament with just more than a day remaining. Sunoo would be voyaging with the personal transport provided by the Northern Water Tribe, specifically organized by Heir Sunghoon to observe the mourning rites of his family at the Western Air Temple. Seolyeon had decided to stay, to follow the orders of her guardian and master till the end. She trusted Master Yunjin. She had to.

Jungwon paused, noticing her hazed eyes as she glanced out the sole window, toward the moonlight. He gave her a moment before waving his hand before Seolyeon's eyes, snapping her out of her thoughts. "Seolyeon?"

"Huh?" she mumbled, blinking her eyes as she turned to the boy. "Oh! Sorry..."

Jungwon pursed his lips, wondering if she was in the right state to spar today. He knew of the news that was delivered to her—guilt had riddled him upon the sight of the two cousins the very next day. For what little he'd seen of Sunoo, he was a light looming amongst the impending darkness—a light that had been wiped out far too quickly.

Jungwon had figured the least he could do for Seolyeon was to help her distract herself, even if for a moment. He had to provide her relief. He owed her far more than that.