eleven ❦

bad idea! . girl in red

Within two days, Jungwon and Seolyeon had become infamous. The airbender and the nonbender—one was far too competent at combat while the other ruled the winds. Ever since the expulsion of the Dazai gang from the Karos Tournament and Jungwon's clear strength in non-elemental combat, no one dared try to mess with the two.

People now seemed to grovel over them. The other competitors would constantly suck up to both of them—save for the ones who considered them a proper threat to their egos. Jungwon would simply brush off their existence, far more interested in the bland tea the school would serve every day. Seolyeon would listen to their every word, soaking it into her mind, before she brushed them off unaware of anything.

Sunoo had made friends with the other benders and even the nonbender, which hadn't surprised Seolyeon in the slightest considering how cheerful he was. He'd always invite Seolyeon to join them, mostly at the request of his friends, well aware that she'd reject his offer every time. Despite having only been around for three days, he knew Seolyeon would always pick Jungwon, even if she wasn't aware herself.

Seolyeon walked through the all-too-familiar courtyard, two trays of breakfast in each hand as she reached the boy she'd now become good friends with. He seemed to be zoning off, so she brought his attention to reality by sliding the sweet breakfast of filled pancakes in front of him, smiling.

"We have our day off today," she started as she cut into her food, eyeing the pancake like a pirate with gold.

"We do..." Jungwon trailed off for a moment, glancing at her. The slightly raised corners of her lips, flushed cheeks, and eyes rather blatantly grilled on her food—she had an idea for the day. A quick sigh left his mouth as he took the first bite, conceding to her plans. "What is it?"

"What's what?"

"Your idea," he explained as soon as he finished, "What do you wish to do today?"

Seolyeon turned to him, her smile now bright. "No takebacks! You're stuck with me the entire day—no training, no worrying, nothing. Got it?"

Jungwon frowned for a moment. She was forcing him to follow her without any idea of what she wanted to do. "You won't tell me first?"

"Nope."

The pop of the word was only emphasized as she immediately turned back to her food, taking another heavenly bite of sugar.

Jungwon frowned, considering his options for a moment. He could easily reject. He had far too much work to allow himself a day off. Information to sort through, a relay of the current affairs in the Fire Nation, wise old words from dear Uncle Yongjin—he needed to work through his duties to his nation today, and most of all, get a good night's sleep in weeks.

He couldn't stop himself, though, at the sight of that silly grin.

"Fine," he relented.

"Yes!" Seolyeon exclaimed, quickly grabbing his hand.

Jungwon laughed as she dragged him past everyone, feeling the wind glide past them faster than he'd ever felt before. She dragged him through the courtyards, past the dorms, beyond the halls of the teachers and the headmaster, finally running past the gate that blocked them off from the city.

Past the icy archway were simply the ice streets, with vendors occasionally lining the alleyway. Waterbenders of the Northern Water Tribe lived under the moon, preferring to stay low during the reign of the sun—it wasn't much of a surprise to either of the seventeen-year-olds that the streets were quiet.