thirteen ❦

Comfortable . Victor Ray

Yongjin had never expected to return to his homeland so quickly

Yongjin had never expected to return to his homeland so quickly. He'd planning on extending his vacation, outstaying his welcome in all the lands he could, perhaps enjoying the Silver Needle at the palace in Agna Qel'a. He was sitting upon the clouds at the Western Air Temple, on invitation of his old friend Yunjin, when news of the Eastern Air Temple struck the world in chaos and grief.

With haste, Yongjin had departed, arriving days earlier than he was scheduled in the land he was forced to call home. He was forced to step foot in the dark, blazing throne room where his older brother sat, simply glancing at scrolls. Rage filled his heart as fire blazed within his veins, yet as he stood before Lord Yongseok, he stood calmly.

Lord Yongseok glanced up from his parchment, a hearty laugh escaping his lips as he stood up from the throne above the dais. "Brother! You've returned—and early too!"

"I have indeed, to celebrate your recent accomplishments, Yongseok," Yongjin spoke with a tone mimicking the lord's.

Yongseok traveled down the stairs, reaching the man with cordiality strong enough to fool some, offering some tea immediately as he led his brother to a simpler room.

The brothers found themselves soon sat across from each other, with a subtle yellow tea placed upon the wooden table.

"I see the Chrysanthemums have bloomed again," Yongjin commented, taking a sip of the lukewarm tea. "Decadent as always."

Lord Yongseok merely nodded, unable to share a word on the tea. He'd never been the poetic brother, never the natural royal Yongjin was.

He gave a simple grin instead, hands in place, unmoving as the tea sat still in his cup. "You're usually never in a rush to return. What brings you home?"

Yongjin hummed, resting his gaze directly upon his brother rather than his surroundings. His eyes weren't dozed off as they normally would be. For the first time in decades, Yongseok could see a fire in Yongjin's eyes. His smile faltered for just a moment.

"Is it wrong for me to miss the palace, Yongseok?" Yongjin chuckled. ** (FIX)

"It is much unlike you to do so."

"Then perhaps I've missed my brother."

Neither commented for a moment.

Yongseok finally picked up his tea, briefly glancing away from the battle. "I suppose you've received your gift? Zin had suggested it would be a great way for you to return home and spend the Festival of the Sun in the capital."

Yongjin grit his teeth. "It was a pleasant surprise. I am glad to be home to see Jongseong."

"Ah! Jongseong has been training well under the teachings of the current general. How has my son been, Yongjin?"