fifteen ❦

Fatal Trouble . ENHYPEN

"Sir?" a gruff voice called out as the soldier shielded his eyes from the disorienting sunlight

"Sir?" a gruff voice called out as the soldier shielded his eyes from the disorienting sunlight. "The Council requests that you join them at the observation deck."

Sunghoon turned around, handing the file in his hand to another as he stared at the soldier before him. He mulled over the words for a minute, seemingly weighing his options as the man stood patiently for an answer. Sunghoon knew the appropriate answer was to accept the generous offer most likely recommended to the Council by his father.

Recently, Sunghoon hadn't been paying much attention to appropriateness.

"I assume this offer is meant to extend to Lady Reika. I would have to discuss it with the Heiress," he states as his eyes trail off toward his good friend.

Unlike the rather militaristic attire he normally saw her in—especially in these hours of the day when all the waterbenders slumbered—Reika was dressed in royal silks embroidered with the prideful seals of the Northern Water Tribe. Just for a moment, Reika's face had shifted into the girl he loved, though he quickly shook himself out of those thoughts.

Should that time come, I would follow her. I wouldn't bring her here.

Just days prior, Chief Azahi had named Reika the Heiress. He'd made a ploy to try and seal the fate of his son, Sunghoon, despite knowing he'd been in love with another and that Reika would never be happy in such a position. Reika's father, a member of the council, had rejoiced. She'd barely glanced at Sunghoon since.

Sunghoon felt odd without his friend by his side on most days. He felt rather odd now, though, as she was forced to dress in traditional silks rather than the metal armor she preferred.

He'd always found the prohibition of female warriors to be frivolous. His hatred for the rule only grew now.

"Reika," Sunghoon finally called out. The stoic woman quickly turned before walking toward him with an uncanny grace.

"What is it?" Reika asked, lowering the sharpness of her tone as much as she could.

Sunghoon gestured to the soldier. "The Council has extended an invitation to have us feast together as the day's events take place."

Reika glared into his eyes, deciphering his words slowly before slowly nodding her head. "The Council is kind to offer. I bequest my thanks."

With a simple sharp nod, Sunghoon turned back to the patient soldier. "On behalf of the Heiress and I, extend gratitude and apologies. I request some privacy with Reika for the day."

The soldier nodded his head, hurrying away to return to the observation deck above the city where the Council of the Northern Water Tribe sat. Sunghoon gently held out his hand toward the girl.

"A show for the crowd," Reika commented, taking his hand with a slight grimace—shortlived to the point where Sunghoon had thought he'd imagined it—and following him to the highest point of the city.