nine ❦

Stay For a While . Victor Ray

When Seolyeon had begged to join the Karos Tournament, she hadn't expected a torturous twelve-hour preparation schedule from dawn to dusk

When Seolyeon had begged to join the Karos Tournament, she hadn't expected a torturous twelve-hour preparation schedule from dawn to dusk. She hadn't expected to sit before scriptures upon scriptures of the tedious rules of Decelis Academy, somehow expected to memorize each one—or at least showcase effort in doing so.

Seolyeon was handed a schedule after being rudely awoken before sunrise, and she'd soon learned that the action she craved would only occur after their second meal. She was a true student for this next week and a half. Somehow, it was far more torturous than any training under the Great Nomad Master Yunjin.

She also hadn't seen Jungwon once in the morning, having learned that everyone would be separated by element. Since Jungwon was one of the few "nonbender" competitors, he was likely practicing his never-changing poise and alertness.

"Hey! Seolyeon!" a voice called out to her, forcing her to lift her face from the scriptures—a sleeping spell—toward the preppy male voice she'd heard.

For a brief moment, her eyes narrowed, squinting for recognition. Why does he... "Sunoo!" Within moments, she'd sprung up from her mat, tackling the boy in a hug with laughter echoing across the walls. A hug with so much force, it was no surprise they'd fallen to the floor. "What are you doing here?!"

"What do you mean? I'm here for the tournament!" Sunoo said, his brows slightly furrowed in confusion.

"Well, yes. You're not strong though," Seolyeon quipped as she stood up, snickering at the appalled look on his face.

Sunoo quickly stood up, glaring at the girl before muttering, "Prideful as ever." A moment of silence passed by before the two burst into giggles. Sunoo took a seat at the desk next to Seolyeon, properly sitting down on the mat while Seolyeon only groaned at the sight of all the papers. "Lazy too."

"I will fling you outside, cousin."

"I'd like to see you try, cousin," Sunoo mocked, only to let out a sigh as his mind drifted.

Seolyeon turned to bicker only to see the clouds seemingly hanging above his sunny persona, causing her to frown. After a few moments of silence, she spoke up again. "Hey...How is everyone at the Eastern Temple?"

Sunoo shrugged and sighed. "No one was injured...and I don't think anyone was supposed to be. I wasn't planning on coming here after the attack, but everyone insisted."

Seolyeon gulped, thinking of how scared the entire temple must've been—she would've been terrified in such a situation. She was only glad something like this hadn't occurred at the Western Air Temple. She was sure she would've had a heart attack. If anything had happened to Zhumi, Master Yunjin, and Seolhwa, she didn't think she could bear it.

Seolyeon quickly snapped out of such thoughts, though, as Master Yunjin's scolding voice entered her ears.

"It'll be alright," she said softly. "Someone will be able to stop the Fire Nation."