The First Avenger: Chapter Thirteen

Neither said a word until halfway back to camp. James rattled his brain, not wanting to say the wrong thing. So, he said nothing at all. That was until he saw a pointed look directed at him from Steve at the front of the group.

James glanced over at Rhiley. She was quiet. He couldn't read her, he didn't know what she was thinking at that moment. "Why didn't you tell me?" He finally asked. It wasn't harsh, he wasn't mad. He probably already knew the answer to his question. It was none of his business. She didn't need to tell him anything.

"Do I need to tell you everything now?"

James had said something stupid. "I know, I know." He stopped, blocking Rhiley in the process. "I'm sorry, I just-" He paused. "I'm sorry."

"You don't need to apologize, James." Rhiley eyed the group of men still walking. "I didn't try to keep it a secret."

"You have powers." James couldn't stop putting his foot in his mouth.

Rhiley wanted to laugh at the comment. James sounded like a kid at a candy store. There was not a single hint of fear in the tone of his voice. Only curiosity.

"You're incredible." James breathed, finally saying something he didn't feel stupid for.

"I was just born different." She shrugged the compliment off, "We should probably-" She gestured to the group that had disappeared from their view. S

They both start to walk back to the group, not in any hurry to catch up. Rhiley's shoulder brushed up against James'. "I never cared what anyone thought of me." Rhiley said, "So, it was easy being different. Especially with Howard there for me. But then-" She paused, "I'm used to people thinking I'm a freak. I've seen the look people give me when they find out. I see that fear in their eyes and I just - I don't think I could have handled seeing that look come from you."

"Rhiley." James started, looking over at her. "I like you."

"You've made that clear." Rhiley chuckled.

"I know you'd never hurt me." James continued, "Why would I be afraid of someone I trust with my life? Hell, you saved me."

"Guess we're just made to save each other."

"Two peas in a pod."

"Partners in crime."

"Hero and sidekick."

"Wait, who is the sidekick?"

James paused, "obviously it's me."

"That's what I thought."

"Friends don't look at each other the way you two do."

~ Steve Rogers

There wasn't much for Peggy Carter and Howard Stark to do but wait. Until Peggy was called in for a meeting that didn't start off well. "Senator Brandt, I regret to report that Captain Steven G. Rogers went missing behind enemy lines on the 3rd of last week."

"Corporal. Why don't you go get a cup of coffee?"

Peggy knew she was in for it the moment the corporal left the room. "I can't touch Stark. He's a civilian and the army's number one weapons contractor. You're never."

"You'll have my resignation in the morning."

"I can probably make it so that you'll avoid court martial."

"With respect, sir, I don't regret my actions. And I doubt neither Captain Rogers nor Agent Rhiley did either."

"What makes you think I give a damn about your opinion?" Philip retorted, "I took a chance on you, Agent Carter. I could see Agent Rhiley doing something like this. But you? Now that boy - and a lot of other men - are dead. Because you had a crush."

"I could learn a thing or two from Agent Rhiley, sir," Peggy said with a straight face, glaring at the Colonel. "I had faith in them. I still do."

"Well, I hope that's a great comfort to you when they shut this division down." Colonel Philip explained, "What the hell is going on out there?"

Peggy knew, the moment she stepped foot out of the tent, what the commotion had been about. Dozens of soldiers hurried toward the camp entrance, parting to reveal, Steve, Bucky, and Rhiley walking up the road with the rest of the squad behind them.

Steve's uniform hangs, filthy and torn. His shield is battered and bent. But he held his head high. Phillip looked at Peggy amazed, who never took her eyes off of the Captain as he walked up to them. "Colonel, some of these men need medical attention." He stood tall, "I'd like to surrender myself for disciplinary action."

Philip looked from Steven to Rhiley who shook her head, "I'm not surrendering myself to shit." Which made Peggy break her focus on the man ahead of her and crack a smile.

"That won't be necessary."

"Sir, I-" Steve was cut off though.

"Just how many orders do you plan on disobeying, Captain?"

Steve and Phillip locked eyes until a smile broke out on Steve's face, "Yes, sir."

Phillip rolled his eyes and turned to Peggy, "Faith, huh?" He walks off.

"Neither of them is gonna acknowledge us." Rhiley grabbed James by the arm, "Let's get you checked out." She then proceeded to pull a smiling idiot towards the medic tent where he also forced her to get checked out.

Not long after, the two found themselves sitting on the outskirts of the camp on the same broken tree where Rhiley had her conversation with Steve before they left to rescue the boys. "So, Steve and Peggy?"

"They're disgusting." Rhiley laughed, answering James before he could ask his question. "It's like watching two love-sick teenagers dance around each other."

"What does that make us?" James smirked at the glare Rhiley sent his way, he threw his hands up, "Hey, I'm not dancing around anything. You know I like you. Like a lot. I'm not trying to hide anything from you."

"You never even tried to hide anything from me." Rhiley pointed out.

"And if you haven't noticed by now. I'm quite the patient guy." He shrugged, "I'll wait."

"Wait for what?"

"For you to tell me how you really feel about me."

"We're in the middle of a war James."

"And we need a love story in the middle of all this chaos."

"Save that for Peggy and Steve." Rhiley looked away, "If you knew the things I've done. You would think twice about those feelings. You're better off with someone else."

"I don't want someone else." James commented, "I want you."

"I didn't want to fall in love, not at all.

But at some point, you smiled, and holy shit,

I blew it."

~ Anonymous