1. Introduction 🔞

I'm sorry if anything comes off wrong, or maybe there's some plot holes, or I skip anything

I'm sorry if anything comes off wrong, or maybe there's some plot holes, or I skip anything. I've been doing my best to write and I'll eventually proof over it when I can. I've lost my grandfather recently and it's been hard on me, plus one of my animals is not doing so well. If you spot any mistakes or have any critiques, please absolutely feel free to let me know and I will fix them! I'd hate for the story to drop in quality. 🫶🏻 just reply to this paragraph to make it easier for me to find, thank you!

___________________________

You overhear the sound of the lab door clicking shut, followed by raised voices and arguing between Norm, Grace, and Jake. It seems like Jake has gotten into some sort of plant life and covered himself in its nectar.

"I'm telling you, Marine," Grace's voice lingers as the group walks past. "You've got to be more careful when helping us take samples. You're lucky it was only the one you messed up on."

"It was his first go." Norm chuckles. "Surely we can't all be as swift and graceful as you."

"Oh, that's right, suck up to the big guns, Norm—that'll get you far." Jake rolls his eyes and scoffs as he steps into the changing room, peeling off his clothing layer by layer before gathering his things to head for the showers.

You watch them go, their voices fading as they head towards the changing room. You can't help but smile at their banter. Despite the long hours and the pressure of their work, they always find a way to make each other laugh.

A few minutes later, you hear the sound of running water from the showers. You assume that Jake is in there, washing off the plant nectar. But when you glance up from your work half an hour later, you're surprised to see him still in his avatar, drying off his hair with a white towel. He looks lost in thought, his expression serious. You wonder what's on his mind.

"You alright there?" You call out to him as he paces around the lab, overlooking the different studies, tests, and files coming up on the screens.

"Oh." You notice that Jake's ears have perked up in alert, as if he's just realized that he's not alone in the lab. You wonder if he's been working late or if he's just lost track of time. Either way, it seems like he's startled to find someone else there. "I'm so sorry. I didn't realize you were up."

"It's fine." You insist. "If Grace trusts you around her findings, then snoop as much as you'd like. I couldn't sleep anyway."

His ears shift downwards, and his expression droops a fair bit.

"Still no email back from your mother?" He asks with a sense of worry.

"No. Not yet. I know it takes months to send and receive, but.. still, she would have sent something by now."

"I'm sorry." He expresses as he reaches out, placing his hand on your shoulder as he gives a caring press.
"I know when my brother wanted to do this mission originally... He had spoken to me a small bit about how long he'd be gone for."
He reaches down for his braid, running his hands along it as a small smirk forms across his lips.
  "If only we knew this is how it would end up."