Build up | 1

"Seriously. I can't fucking believe you tried to come get me and ended up shot."
Trudy is redressing the wound, and checking the stitches for you.
"Didn't you learn your lesson from fighting a viperwolf? Not to get directly into trouble?"

"Okay, now, that wolf situation was an accident. I didn't know they were around." You so innocently defend yourself.

"Jake's gonna come back and hang me up on the door by my ponytail."
She snickers.
"I have to submit a report to Norm for when they get back.
What am I gonna write?
That the militia set up camps to capture any runaways, you decided to go get our friends out, we did it, sure. -but you got shot on the way out?
How do I not mention the last part, exactly? He's not gonna take it lightly when that's exactly how Grace-"
She stops herself, but it's too late.
"I just mean, that, it almost-"

You place your hand on her shoulder.
"It's okay. I get what you mean. We're all mourning still.
.....
Just don't write it in. Say we saw our friends were in trouble and I insisted we help. A quick in and out mission with Max's help. That's all it was."

"Shit. Forget the gunshot wound, he's going to kill me for not holding you back on the little side quest alone."

"Alright.. I'll tell him myself then. I'll say it was my idea."

"And you could somehow fly the aircraft on your own?"

"Shit. You're right.
Let's just not tell him. Either of them."

"You think Jake won't notice when he hears the aircraft was taken out for a while? Or the fact that it's moved locations?"

"Ugh. Let's think about it tomorrow. I will come up with something."

"I sure hope you do, because - regardless of him being my friend - I don't know about you....
but I have zero intention on scaring, worrying, or pissing off an eight foot eleven tall avatar war leader who's got trauma and a whole ass toruk behind him."

"I'll just ground him from sex if he gets mean with you."
Mmmm, okay. that joke certainly slipped out too soon.

She seems more confused than grossed out if anything, looking up at you while finishing the bandage.
"God.
I'm gonna sound like such an asshole here. But...
You guys have sex?
I thought Jake was paralyzed from the waist down?
As in, he couldn't feel anything?"
She's suspicious.
And... she has good reason to be.

She pries herself off the bed a small bit, just enough to look at the guilty expression you wear.

"Wait, wait-
You're not-"
She tilts her head as her eyes open even wider. Her palm up and facing toward you.
Your expression shifts just enough to give you away.
"-No.
No fucking way."

"You're with Norm in his Avatar form a lot!" You try to defend yourself.

"For protection!" She clarifies. "There's too much shit going on out here to be hiking around without a driver!"

"You don't?-"

"No! Of course we don't! He's fucking nine feet tall! I've never even seen his Avatar naked.
Shirtless? Yeah!
He's my nerdy yet attractive guy either way."
She gasps so suddenly, pausing her thoughts.
"So when we were talking about you two.. when he left the other night...
Oh, my fucking god.
Do you even use any kind of protection in this situation?"

"I have an IUD that was put in within my few days of arriving. You know that. We had appointments the same day."

"Right, right.
Jesus Christ.
How does it even fit? Isn't it like fifteen inches or something? Like bigger than the size of my fucking arm?"