13

I woke up feeling thirsty, I was so wet from sweating as if someone had poured me several gallons of water. Everywhere was dark and I could only see with the help of ray flashing through the window to my room, we are already in the middle of the night and I'm still in the clothes I wore the previous day. I stood up to go drink water then I remembered I haven't prayed, Astagfrillah I chanted, I quickly change into my nighties and do ablution. As I entered the room, I noticed the door is unlocked, it's as opened as I left it after my Mum left.

"Sekinah, why didn't you...." I couldn't complete my statement, her bed is empty. It only meant one thing. I locked the door and went to pray my qadha (missed salat). I read some pages from the Quran before going back to bed. I might be stopped from using jilbab but I won't make it affects how I practice my religion.

After Fajr, I did my duaa. I don't need anyone to tell me that the morning is covered with thick clouds that diffuse into the daylight, I'm barely excited preparing for the day as the weather contributed to my depression and sadness. Sekinah did not come home and she couldn't call me, is it that bad that she totally ignored me and everything we shared? Is this how people are? Why can't she just...

🎶 Ring!!!! Ring!!!!!! Ring!!!!!!!🎶
🎶 Please pick your call 🎶
🎶 Ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🎶
My phone brings me out of my thoughts.

M: Mum, good morning ma

Her Mum: Good morning dear, how was your night?

M: Fine ma, I'm sorry I didn't call you yesterday, I slept off; in fact, I woke up at midnight. Thanks for yesterday ma

Her Mum: No problem dear

M: Your baby nko?

Her Mum: He's fine o, he is not back from the mosque yet. Your roommate nko?

M: She... She's fine Mum, she's... Praying. Yes, she's still praying.

Her Mum: Shewa?

M: Yes Mum

Her Mum: I know you better than you thought, I know when something is wrong with you even when you were still in my womb. I nurture you till this stage you are, of course I know you were lying when you are trying to put words together and of course stammering and convincing yourself. What happened to your roommate?

M: Mum... I'm sorry.

Her Mum: it's fine, you can confide in me, as always, remember how you use to tell me about your crush in class during your secondary school days? Not knowing your crush has another crush in the same class as yours.

M: Mum! Haaaah! Stop already!. I remember Faruq so much, he was my crush then, I like to see him around me, I couldn't believe my ears when he told me to my face that he's crushing on Hadeezah. Hadeezah that use to walk like robot! I uncrush him immediately and died all my feelings for him. Thank God I didn't tell him about how I feel for him. I went home being moody that day, my Mum was the one that enlighten my mood. 'It's normal to crush on someone but you can't control how people feel for you, it's better you had died your feelings, I put it to you that if the feelings were mutual; you both would have done unspeakable things together and you wouldn't even come to tell me. My dear, there are so many fishes in the river, as you grow; you will meet many men, you will crush on someone, some will crush on you by then you will even get tired of being asked out, you are a hot girl my baby. Enjoy your life and look towards when men will be writing applications to get your attention' I love this woman because she always elate my mood.

Her Mum: Back to earth Mimi!

M: Oh! The thing is.. she didn't come home yesterday after she left when you were here. I don't know what happened and I don't know I didn't feel as if she isn't safe, I only felt like she is avoiding me.

Her Mum: Did anything happened between both of you?

M: Yes Mum, it was because I stopped putting on jilbab, she was pissed and said some desultory words, though I felt bad that it is coming from her but it's fine. And I guess she overheard you yesterday as well. I don't know Mum but I felt she overreacted and this is not the right way to go about it.

Her Mum: You are right my dear and she's right as well. You are not brought up the same way, you can't expect her to react the way you will if you happened to be in her position in the same situation. If she heard me yesterday then she should know that you didn't do it intentionally that you were instructed to stop using it, she doesn't need to take it out on you and you don't need to beat yourself about.  Don't let it gets to you, make sure you talk to her about it and sort things out. Pele okomi.

M: Thanks Mum, you are always the best!

Her Mum: You are welcome. Oya let me go and prepare food for my love. You too go and prepare for school.

I did as she said and prepare for the day, it was as if her words diffuse the daylight to a soft gentle sweetness, I was suddenly happy to face the day. When I step outside, I could see the sun shone brilliantly and clear, I smiled as I walked down to the junction to board bus.

"Mariam! Mariam!! My friend! My friend!! Wassup na?" Mosope greeted me lively, she even hit me slightly, this is new coming from her.

"Ouch! Do you want to remove my arm?" I feign pain, squeezing my face as if I had lemon in my mouth.

"Salt! You think I will fall for your trick?" That made me laugh.

"Wait! Since when did we become friends? Being that you called me your friend earlier, I don't seems to understand"

"So you did not know?" She hit me again, this time; it's painful.

"That what?"

"That we are now friends! If you don't want to be friends with me, I will be your friend by force, I'm not even seeking for your opinion. I can't let this your intelligency pass me by. Welcome to being my friend darling" I couldn't help but laugh till my stomach hurts. This lady will pass as a comic actor.

"Okay friendship. Thanks for making me your friend, I pray I never fail you"

"Ma Sha Allah" she hugged me

"What! That is new! It rolled out of your tongue sweetly. I was surprised.

"What did you take me for? I'm a Muslim na. My Muslim name is Mazeedah"

"Seriously?" 😳 I can't believe my ears.

"I get that reactions a lot. And I'm always happy to tell people about what they don't know about me. I know I'm tonguey and I'm outrageous as well"

"Oh wow! That's fascinating" I had to hold my smile with so much effort.

"You want me to knock your forehead abi?" I raised my hands up in surrender. "Good. Like I said earlier, my name is Mazeedah, I'm a Muslim by heart and soul; I prayed my salat religiously and I wouldn't pray each salat without reading my Quran. I read 2-3 Ju'uz per day" this is so shocking.

"Sope! Alhaja! Lecturer don enter class o (lecturer has entered the class)

We rush to the lecture room.