The Kid's Alright, but it Goes to His Head

Harry was sixteen and it was a cold night that he was going out to see Louis. He never did ask if Louis was okay with meeting in the cold, and he felt bad for a moment, but when he saw a few snow flakes fall from his window, he forgot about his guilt.

Harry quickly pulled on a pair too-tight jeans and one of Louis' beanies that he snatched when he wasn't looking. He was about to leave his room when he spotted his only pair of gloves on his bedside table. He didn't like to wear gloves, but Louis always got worried when he didn't, so he grabbed them nonetheless. Harry didn't see why he should even have to wear them, for they had holes in them anyways.

Harry shoved the gloves into his pocket and head downstairs. His mum was sitting at the dining room table, typing away at her laptop. Gemma stood in front of the stove mixing a pot of soup.

Harry in front of his mum and grinned. "Hi, mum. What're you doing?"

Anne smiled and looked up. "Oh, nothing." She took a sip of her coffee and looked Harry up and down. "Are you going out?"

Harry nodded. "I'm meeting Louis in the park."

He heard Gemma gasp from behind him. "Harry Edward, it's absolutely freezing outside!" She exclaimed.

Harry laughed. "I like the cold, Gems. It's nice."

"You're definitely not my brother. I think we might have different dads." She giggled and looke at Anne to see her reaction, but Anne had her nose buried into her laptop screen, not listening. Gemma continued, "I hate the cold. It's terrible! As soon as I'm done with uni, I'm moving all the way to California! Where it's warm all the time and I'll be right by the ocean."

"Where will you get the money to move there?" Harry asked, leaning his chair back and grinning at his older sister.

Gemma rolled her eyes. "Haven't thought of that yet. I have two more years to figure it out."

Harry sighed and set his chair back on the table. He still had awhile until he had to be at the park waiting for Louis. He wandered around the island and beside Gemma, peering into the pot of soup.

"Geez, Gemma. How much pepper do you need?" He asked. He knew Gemma hated it when he criticized her cooking, so that's exacly why he did it.

"Shut up, Harry!" She yelled, swatting his arm, then shoving him away from the soup.

He laughed and held up his hands in surrender. "Okay, okay."

Anne looked up from her screen and warned, "Now, now children. Let's remember that we aren't children anymore."

Harry swung his arms around dramatically as he continously wandered around the kitchen, picking in the cupboards and the refrigerator. He pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and sent a text to Louis, hoping he would entertain him.

When he didn't get an immediate reply back, Harry huffed and walked back to the dining room table, picking his coat off the back of the chair. "I think I'm just going to leave early." He announced.

"Harry, it's so cold. At least take the car..." His mum pleaded.

"Mum, I can't drive yet." Harry rolled his eyes, tossed back a good-bye to his sister, and fled from the front door.

He closed the door behind him, and a hust of cold air washed over his body. He put on his gloves and shoved his hands in his pocket. He felt his nose immediately going red, as it always did even when it was just the slightest bit cold outside.