十 Promises We Made

Hara's Residence

Airi watched as Hazuki winced in pain as she changes the wound dressing. "Did you get into some kind of fight? It doesn't look like you just fell off the tree", Reiji pinched his cheek. Airi told Reiji not to mention anything about it a few nights ago. "How about the two of you? The last time I asked you to fetch my sister. You were an hour late from the time we agreed she'll be home", Hazuki pouted. Reiji flushed and just looked away. "I asked him to buy some snacks with me. Don't go assuming things", Airi flicked his forehead. "The same goes with you", Hazuki gave a wide smile. 

Kitchen

Airi helped in washing the vegetables for lunch. "Aren't you going to visit the cemetery with your friends? You can go and prepare", Rio permitted. "I'm not sure. I don't know what to say. In our family, my earliest memory of death is when my grandfather died and that was 10 years ago. I might act weird", Airi hesitated to join Mikey and Emma. 

Help me protect my brother. 

Airi slapped herself. "I was the one asking a favor. How can I reject something like this? I'll be preparing, Mom. I might not be back as early as before", the lady hugged her mother from the back. "That's how you youngsters are. At least you won't lie about the time you'll be home", Rio held Airi's hand. "One day, I'll be running home late because I watched my brother's game just like before. I'll continue hoping that he'll be back. Reiji-san told me that the principal talked to brother. He might have brushed it off as usual but he cannot keep running away from it", Airi said in a soft voice so the two lads in the living room won't hear it. "For now, let's just be happy that Reiji-kun is always on his side", Rio smiled. 

Street

"You did not bring your bike?", Airi saw the siblings walking. Emma told her that Mikey dyed his hair because of her. She wasn't sure what that meant so she was planning of asking later. "Thank you for accompanying us today. It's my brother's death anniversary", Mikey informed making Airi nod. "I'll make sure to introduce you properly to brother", Emma clung to her arm. 

Airi looked at Emma's smiling face. "Draken-kun isn't here?", Airi looked around. "Why are you looking for him?", Emma pouted. "He's preparing for later's battle. We'll settle it with Tenjiku Gang", Mikey said casually. "I see. Please be safe, all of you", Airi gulped. "I will. I am their leader after all", the lad patted her head. "Just like how I will keep Hazuki safe", Mikey mentioned a name that made Airi's eyes teary. "Why did you make Airi cry?", Emma whined. "Sorry. I just got emotional all of a sudden", the black-haired lady sniffed. Mikey went ahead. 

"Your brother looks healthy and nothing seems wrong with him aside from his head", Emma said recalling the time he tried to court her in front of Draken. "You can repeat that. My brother was once the captain of the basketball club. As you can see now, he's a loosed rabid dog", Airi felt the warmth from Emma. "What happened? If he's the captain, he wouldn't leave so randomly", Emma watches his brother walk in front of them. "Two years ago, he was also studying at Hanami Academy. An incident happened and he happened to be there", Airi felt like she was losing words. "Incident?", the blonde girl stopped making Airi stop as well. "My brother and his teammate decided to play until late evening in an open court. There were twelve of them but for some reason, he was the only one who was left. After ganging on him...", Airi felt tight on her chest. 

Emma held her hand and gave off a concerned look. "They brought him to a warehouse, we received a call. That person cannot be the one to bring my brother to the hospital. When we arrived at the hospital, the doctor told us that he broke his arm and leg. It wasn't something that would be permanent but my brother never held the basketball ever since that time", Airi informed. "I'm sorry, Airi", Emma hugged her. "My brother told us not to put the person who broke his arm behind bars but my father wouldn't allow it. He has to go into court and I believe that caused him more stress", Airi added. "Did you also see the one who did it?", Emma asked. Airi gulped. They already arrived at the cemetery. 

Cemetery

Airi and the two stayed outside the cemetery. 

 "Even if you always complain about him, you still care for him. Don't you? Just like how I care for Mikey", Emma smiled and looked at his brother. Airi looked in the direction where Emma is looking and saw a familiar figure. "Iza..", she covered her mouth. "That might be our third brother, then. Izana?", Emma said. "Want to have some drinks?", she asked Takemichi and Airi who couldn't believe what she just heard.

Isn't that Hara's little sister? Siblings make me sick. When I was put behind bars, I met her a few times during the hearing. It was interesting to see her fearful expression after I told her...

She's the next one. 

 A motorcycle coming not far from them. She saw a crowbar making her step back freeze. Not long after, she saw blood on the ground heading toward her. "Emma!!!!!", she shouted. Takemichi went to check on her and saw blood already oozing from her head. Mikey arrived to see what was happening and carried her sister on his back. "There's a nearby hospital here Mikey", Airi informed while still in shock but understanding the urgency.

He carried her sister and they talked for a while. Airi and Takemichi just followed. 

"If I won't be able to make it, tell Draken. I love you Draken", Emma said leaning her head on Mikey's shoulder. Takemichi cried. "Tell him that yourself", Mikey slightly turned his head. "Takemichi-kun, please take care of Mikey for me, same with you, Airi", Emma looked at the lad who is already crying. Emma's hand suddenly went loose and Airi stopped walking covering her mouth for her sob not be heard. "I promise Ken-chin not to tell you this but you guys love each other", he smiled. "Takemitchy, can you check Emma for me? She's cold", Mikey continued talking about a future that he always dreamed of for Emma and Draken. Of how he would be visiting and he would get scolded due to the noise. Airi held on to Emma's pulse and hugged Mikey along with Emma's cold body. "Mikey-kun. Emma is already...", Airi tightened her hug on Mikey.

Hospital Morgue

"What is this?", Draken stands in front of Emma's dead body.

 Airi watched as the three lads go outside. She cannot leave Emma alone so she decided to stay and pray for comfort for everyone. "Emma. It's way too soon", Airi cried and was startled to hear Draken shouting. 

She also followed outside and saw him punching Mikey. 

"What in the world are you doing!!!". 

"If there's someone to blame, it would be me!!!!". 

"It's my fault". 

"You were with Emma so how could this happen?!"

"You created Toman to protect everyone". 

"Pahchin was arrested! Baji is dead! Kazetora got arrested! and now Emma!". 

"You created Toman to protect everyone!"

Airi wanted to stop Draken but even Takemichi got punched trying to stop him. "Emma is...", he started crying as well. She found herself calling someone. 

You called, Airi. You went with Emma and Mikey-kun, right? I bet she's been playing matchmaker again.

Hina-chan. You have to come here to the hospital. Something-

Are you crying, Airi? I'll be there as soon as possible.

Uhm. Hanagaki needs you. 

The two entered and saw drinks prepared for them. Airi didn't see Takemichi with them. She gulped and invited them to take a seat. He knew that it wasn't Mikey's fault nor Takemichi's. Mikey is strong and it is natural for the strong to care for the weak but Mikey is just a high schooler like them as well.  "Mikey-kun...", she found herself mentioning his name. "Sorry. I wasn't able to-", Airi cried again and tears just fell from her eyes. Mikey covered her mouth and leaned his head on her shoulder. 

After some time, Hina entered and her face showed that she already knew about the news. "Airi", she ran to her and burrowed her face into her chest. Behind her is Hazuki. "Mikey, you're grandfather will be here soon. I'd help in moving your sister's body", Hazuki placed his hand on Mikey's shoulder. 

Chapter end.