十九 Passing Moments

Hospital 

Hazuki and Senju sat in the lounge waiting for the results. The lad offered a hot drink which Senju received. "Go out with me, Senju", Hazuki said without hesitation. Takeomi was about to call the lady but hid behind the post. He face-palmed having to hear a confession for his former leader, they just got disbanded. "I can't. I'm sorry", Senju answered with calm eyes then sipped through the hot choco. "Uhm. I understand. I just want you to know that I look at you as a woman. It's quite pathetic for a man like me to go out with you, right? Someone who cannot even throw a punch properly", Hazuki chuckled and stood. "You're a good guy, Hazuki. I just don't want to dra-", Senju stopped when she saw Hazuki's smiling face. "I believe there are more matters to deal with this time, right? Senju. Until then, I will listen to your answer", Hazuki waved his hand and left. 

Room

Hazuki held onto his sister's shoulder watching Hina crying while hugging Takemichi. "Can I stay here for a while? I already messaged Mom and Dad that I might not be going home today", Airi informed. "I know you wanted to be with Hina but let's get you x-rayed. You were thrown on the ground", the lad tried to convince her to take precautions. "I'm fine. I don't feel pain in my body anymore. More than anything else, I just want to mourn with my friends", Airi started sobbing. Hazuki paused for a while. He started to doubt his decision to let her get acquainted with delinquents. Her heart is too innocent and pure. If Reiji would hear about this, he'll punch Hazuki for good. "I kept going around thinking that I could be of help. What did I ever do to help? I was just there seeing people break and die", Airi started beating her chest. She remembered Emma also dying while she was there. Staying at home while his brother went missing.  He patted Airi's head and slowly went out of the room.

The Next Morning, 

Airi yawned and saw Reiji looking into her. She sat straight and looked around. Hina is holding Takemichi's hand and Hazuki gave a peace sign. "Let's talk outside", Reiji stood and the lady followed as well. 

Hina watched them leave the room. "Will she be okay?", Hina asked. "Reiji is angry at me but he'll never get angry with Airi, my dense sister", Hazuki shrugged and sat next to Takemichi as well. "Do you like them to get together?", the peach-haired lady was intrigued by what Hazuki had to say. "Well, if Airi likes him. I don't mind. If she doesn't, I also don't think she's mistaken with her choice", the lad smiled. "He's your best friend, though", Hina tilted her head. "And that's the reason why I know why he's trying to ask my sister out", Hazuki looked at Takemichi. 

Hospital Park

"Four years ago, your brother was also lying on a hospital bed with broken limbs and bruised face. Don't get mad at him, I was just able to bring him to tell me what happened last night. I know he's also scared of getting you hurt", Reiji walked in front of Airi. "Sorry, Reiji-san. I didn't know a gang war would break in such a place", Airi gulped feeling Reiji's angered aura. She knew it wasn't her that he was angry at. 

Reiji turned and hugged Airi. "When your brother was taken in the warehouse, when he was punched and kicked, when we were playing on an outside court...no one ever thought that some ruthless gangsters will be ruining the moment. No one thought that they will injure a very important player for the nationals. No one ever thought that they would be cowardly to gang on just one unarmed person", Reiji curled his fist. Airi finally realized something. "And during those times, I wasn't there to be by his side. I don't want the same thing to happen to you, Airi. Please, let me be by your side so that I might take care of you", Reiji tightened his hug. Airi gently pushes him away. 

"Reiji-san. I cannot go out with you for your guilt to be erased. Whatever happened with my brother in the past, I cannot be a replacement for your redemption", Airi pressed her lips. Reiji grabbed her hand. "What are you saying?", the man slightly raised his voice. "Your anger with gangsters and you not wanting me to be with them, everything was still connected from what happened four years ago, right? Reiji-san, they were just one gang and not everyone is the same", Airi tried to defend her friends. "Why do you think they're called delinquents? They're an eyesore to society. Bunch of idiots who knows nothing but to mess with people's lives. Do you know how much your brother trained for the Nationals?", Reiji gritted his teeth. "Was it really brother that you worried of? How can the person himself get over it? I'm sorry that you lost in the Nationals, Reiji-san. It must have been hard to take the burden all to yourself", Airi tried to get her hand back but Reiji tightened his grip. "You're hurting me, Reiji-san", Airi winced. 

Someone pushed him making his grip on Airi loosen. "Get lost. She said you're hurting her", Hakkai pulled Airi to her side. "You might just be confused, Airi. I'll talk to you as soon as possible", Reiji gave a smile but glared at Hakkai. He left the two. 

"What's his problem?", Hakkai sighed. "He's just a little pissed off", Airi pressed her lips. "I heard from Yuzuha.  Draken is already-", his voice cracked. "Hanagaki-kun is still unconscious. I know he tried his hardest to prevent the worse from happening", Airi tried to convince. "I know. I don't blame him for what happened. Draken decided to get involved and it was his decision", Hakkai clenched his fist. 

After two days, 

Cemetery

Airi looked at the people gathered and felt like her chest is going to burst. Everyone couldn't believe that another important person will be taken away from them. She thought she already exhausted her tear gland water still escapes her eyes. "How did this happen?", she heard a voice from behind. "I was just out of Tokyo for three days, how is Draken dead?", his voice turned rougher. "Mitsuya, I know this might have come as a shock for you but let's just respect the silence for a moment", another voice tried to calm him since the ceremony is still ongoing. "No, this might be some kind of joke, right? Draken got out from being delinquent and no one in the right mind would kill someone like him", his denial was taking a toll on everyone as they started to cry again. "Hakkai, take Mitsuya away from here for a while", Peh-yah instructed. 

"This must be very hard on him", Yuzuha commented. Airi got closer to the lady. "He had always followed him around. Just like Hakkai, he looked up to Draken", Yuzuha informed. "When someone close to you gets hurt, you cannot help to blame yourself. If only I was there, if only I was stronger, if only I knew this would happen", the lady continued talking. "He's too used to carrying so much load on his shoulder", Peh-yah joined the conversation. "Can you try to talk to him?", Yuzuha asked. "I...I don't exactly know what to say", Airi pressed her lips. "You were there when Draken died. What do you think Draken would like to say for those who are left behind", Pah-chin said while looking at the sky. 

Mitsuya sat under a tree with his head leaning on his knees. It was obvious that he's been crying his heart out. She gulped and knelt in front of Mitsuya. "Takashi-san. Everyone already left and the rain might start falling later", Airi said in a soft voice. He just shook his head. "I'm fine. You can just go. Please leave me alone", Mitsuya politely chased her away. 

 "Sorry, Takashi-san. I was there when Draken-kun died. The medics tried their best to revive him but there was too much blood lost. He got three shots on his lower abdomen", Airi pressed her lips trying to stop the tears. "Why do you have to tell me?", Mitsuya clenched his fist. "In case you're thinking that if you were by his side, something must have changed", Airi said making Mitsuya raise his head with a bitter expression. It must have hit the spot.  He doesn't usually show it unless his friends are hurt. "Draken-kun wanted you to continue being a fashion designer so he kept you away from going back to being a delinquent. He was so happy that you continued with this path", Airi's eyes warmed to see how broken Mitsuya looked at the moment. His eyes are swollen from crying and there was the rage in his eyes. "I would like to agree with him, Takashi-san", she covered her mouth and shook her head. She bowed very low. 

Chapter end.