𝑖.

edited: 01.12.23

season 1, episode 1

season 1, episode 1

athena, an incredibly smart and talented intern with a photographic memory, had just moved to seattle, leaving behind her whole life in england to pursue her life-long dream of becoming a surgeon. she wants to make a change in the world and save millions of lives and she hopes to become the best surgeon. athena's parents, her mother, selene thomas, a very talented and well-known paediatric surgeon and her father, damon thomas, also a very talented surgeon who specialised in plastics, were both incredibly proud of their eldest daughter. even if she decided to have her career on the other side of the world. both her parents have done incredible things in an OR, both having won a harper avery award. athena's siblings, achilles and cassandra or archie and cass as many people call them, are both in med school. you could say being a surgeon runs in her family.

after 2 months of living in seattle Athena had yet to actually find an apartment she'd consider living in. she groaned as she rolled over and smacked her bedside table screaming at her alarm to shut up. she had her first day of her new job as an intern at seattle grace hospital, ecstatic and terrified would be an understatement of how she felt as she got showered, dressed and ate breakfast. she walked out of her hotel room and out towards her car with a cheerful spring in her step, she drove to the hospital with a large smile on her face as she took in the new area which she, surprisingly, hasn't seen much of.

━━━━━━━━━━

upon arrival at the hospital, athena enters a room full of other interns as a doctor starts talking to them all. she looked around the room, taking in everything she possibly could. she then zoned into what the chief of surgery was telling her and everyone else. "each of you comes here hopeful. wanting in on the game. a month ago you were in med school being taught by doctors. today, you are the doctors. the seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. you will be pushed to the breaking point. look around you, say hello to your competition." athena did just that and observed everyone in the room. the man spoke to all the interns, everyone was young and eager but they were new to the profession and had no idea what they were getting themselves into. "eight of you will switch to an easier specialty, and five of you will crack under the pressure. two of you will be asked to leave. this is your starting line, this is your arena. how well do you play? that's up to you." athena smirked to herself, she had this in the bag. after the chief had finished his little, very well-rehearsed speech, they all moved into the locker room and changed into their scrubs.

a doctor began calling out names, and interns ran out in a hurry to meet with their assigned residents. athena looked around at the plethora of men in the room as she continued changing into her scrubs. turning to her right, she smiled at a female korean intern and another woman roughly the same height as her before saying "only six women out of twenty."