Chapter 29

"You let them get away?!" Hoggle screeched piercingly.
The Kelpie was kneeled before him in human form, his wrists tied and the bridle in his mouth.
"Plees shur highnesh, I almoshed had the girl, but then Jaret had pulledme offa her. I wash drowning him when thish bridle wash put on me by the girl I wash impershonating." His voice was muffled and warped with the bridle, but Hoggle made out the basics.
"Sarah saved them?" Hoggle asked, hardly daring to believe him.
"Yesh shur highnesh." The Kelpie muttered.
Hoggle took a step back, his head whirling. He turned back to the Kelpie and raised his hand, a crystal resting innocently on his palm. The Kelpie's eyes widened with fright as the possibilities of punishment flitted through his mind like a movie. The crystal warped in shape, rowing thin like a rod, the end growing a thin tail until there was a whip in Hoggle's hand.
His hand came down on the Kelpie again and again until the Kelpie's agonized screams cut through the dense swampland.

"Yes! Finally! The last task!" Emmeline cried with happiness as they came to the Goblin City walls. She studied all around the area, but there were no doors; no visible openings.
"Aww, man," Emmeline said, looking up at the soaring wall.
My thoughts exactly, Jareth thought, looking at the daunting impasse. "How do we get in?"
"Here!" Sarah called; she was five feet from them and was standing in front of a tunnel in the stone large enough to crawl through.
"Great!" Emmeline hollered, racing past her mother and starting to climb in the warren.
"Wait a minute, young lady," Sarah said, grabbing Emmeline by the back of her shirt. Emmeline sighed and climbed out. "Yes?"
Sarah smiled. "Be careful, okay? Jareth and I will come after you. Pay attention." Emmeline smiled and nodded, climbing back into the outlet and disappearing as she rounded a corner.
"Sarah," Jareth said softly, touching her shoulder. "I'm sorry that Emmeline got hurt while in my care. I shouldn't have let her come."
Sarah turned toward Jareth, putting her back to the tunnel. She stepped closer to him until their chests were touching. For a moment she just looked into his eyes.
Without warning, Sarah threw her arms around Jareth and kissed him full on the mouth. Jareth placed his arm around her waist and kissed her back, all of his love and adoration for Sarah pouring out of him.
While they were kissing, Emmeline came back from her investigation and caught Sarah and Jareth. She grinned.
"I knew it!" Emmeline laughed. Sarah and Jareth broke apart, blushing and smiling. Jareth turned his head and looked at Emmeline, who snickered.
"Come on, lovebirds, or we're going to miss the action!" Emmeline cackled, and then disappeared back around the corner of the tunnel.
Sarah blushed deeper, and then went to the tunnel. Jareth followed her, took her hand, and helped her into the tunnel, following her after.
They were only crawling through for a minute or so when-
"Stop!" Emmeline hissed, holding an arm out so they wouldn't pass her. "Listen!"
Sarah and Jareth stayed there, listening intently. Heavy footfalls were coming from the opening of the tunnel.
"What is that? Emmeline, can you see anything?" Jareth asked anxiously from behind Sarah.
"Shhhhh!" Emmeline hissed, her arm still out as if shielding them all from view. "It looks like... a Hydra!"