Chapter 33

Jareth, Sarah, Emmeline, and the Hydra froze. The Hydra's eyes looked at Jareth with shock, then enragement. Then, right before their eyes, two heads grew back from the stump. Now, there were seven heads, fourteen bloodred eyes, and seven more huge mouths with razor-sharp teeth a foot long.
"Crap," Emmeline whimpered. Two of the heads looked at Emmeline, eyes focusing right on her as if she were a target. Two more eyes focused on Sarah the same way, and the last three focused on Jareth.
"Now!" Jareth yelled, advancing on the Hydra. Emmeline and Sarah screamed loudly and threw anything they could get their hands on at the Hydra, trying to distract it. Sadly, the Hydra figured out their next moves before they even acted, and easily matched their best efforts. Emmeline was screaming senselessly, trying to get all of the Hydra's head's focused on her. Sarah was batting at the heads facing her, trying to get Jareth the chance he needed to defeat the Hydra. The three heads that were fighting Jareth were completely engrossed in him, making Jareth unable to slip under the Hydra and kill it.
Suddenly, a power Jareth had never felt before filled his chest. Jareth looked the Hydra straight into its eyes, and bellowed, "Stop!" To everyone's surprise, the Hydra froze. Still staring sternly at the Hydra, Jareth said, "Enough. No more." His voice was full of power, so palpable that the whole room could feel it. Suddenly, the Hydra gave a great gasp and dropped on the hard, dusty ground; dead. It shimmered holographically and disappeared, in its place leaving the last silver orb.
"No!! This cannot be! No!" Hoggle screamed, interrupting the stillness the sudden death the Hydra caused. Cheers erupted all around the large room, echoing off the walls. Goblins ran fast towards Jareth, Emmeline and Sarah, thumping them on the back and congratulating them. Suddenly, a clock appeared in midair, showing the time. Before anyone got a good look at it, it chimed thirteen.
"You're too late," Hoggle cackled evilly, blood dribbling down his chin from a split in his lip he got from wrestling with the goblins. He wrestled his arm from one of the goblins and pointed a gnarled, warty finger at Jareth, and growled, "You'll never get to the castle before the last chime."
Jareth looked at Hoggle blankly. On the seventh chime, a triumphant grin spread across his face. He grabbed Sarah and Emmeline with his left hand, and then held the crystal in his right. On the twelfth chime, Jareth yelled, "To the castle!"
The last time Hoggle saw Jareth was his smug smile as he disappeared to the castle with Emmeline and Sarah in his possession.