2

Freen woke up late, she quickly bathed, changed and rushed downstairs to leave for work, when she was halted after seeing a basket left on her front door.

She squatted a little to look further in the basket, which seems to contain a blanket? What shocked her is that when she folded the top of the basket, it revealed a cute little face of a baby bundled in the blanket placed inside the basket she saw earlier. It was sleeping so peacefully and it melted her heart right away.

Though skeptical of what's happening and why a bundle of cuteness was left in her doorstep, she decided to take it inside her house.

After thinking for some time, she called her friends Nam and Heng for some help.

They arrived in a rush after a few minutes.
Heng, who arrived first, decided to ignore her friend and go straight to the baby and gush over its cuteness. Freen only shook her head watching her friend be amazed by the baby's chubby cheeks, as she waited for her more logical friend, Nam.

When the oldest arrived, she was frowning, and Freen can swear that she saw her give her a death glare, before looking at the baby in the basket.

"So? What should I do? I just saw this basket outside my door when I was rushing to work."

"Maybe, it's yours, and the mother left it to your care." Heng nonchalantly said.

"What?! No! That's impossible. I always made sure that I was safe. I always wore condoms though they're uncomfortable, dude."

"Always? Are you sure?" Nam looked straight into her, like she was hinting something.

That made her think about all her escapades, but she was still sure that she never did it raw. But then again... she was taken aback when she finally remembered something. Her hands started to shake and perspire, and she had to gulp a couple of times. No. Maybe she was wrong. And even if she was right, there was no way that she would leave her own child just like that. She's not that kind of person.

She was taken out of her thoughts when she heard the baby cry. She quickly rushed to it, trying to determine what made it uncomfortable.

The baby was moving around that made the blanket wrapped around it, fall to its torso, revealing that it was clutching a letter on one of its chubby hands.

Nam saw this and quickly stepped in. She took the baby out of the basket and handed the letter to Freen. She rocked the baby to calm it, and fed it with the milk that was in the basket.

Freen was just looking at her, holding the letter. She was still nervous about the possibility. But now that you look at the baby, with her eyes wide open, its resemblance to the both of them seemed undeniable.

Heng seemed to also see the similarity of the baby's big brown eyes to someone they all know. The happy-go-lucky member of the trio turned serious facing Freen. "Read the letter," he said in an authoritative tone, before going to Nam and the baby's side to play with it and give Freen some privacy.

With shaking hands, she opened the letter which confirmed her suspicion. Just by looking at the handwriting, she knew it was from her. It's from her best friend, Becky.

This made her close her eyes and take a deep breath before reading the letter, trying to calm herself.

My dearest Freen,

I know that you already told me that you don't want to see me anymore, so I tried my best for us not to cross paths. I know you're disgusted by my existence, but I need your help. I'm sorry if I also have to drag you into this mess again. But, the baby in the basket, needs you. Her name is Jisoo, and she's ours. I don't know what you'll think about this information, and I doubt you'd want her. But I have no other choice. Please, Phi. Please, take her in. Even if you never tell her she's yours. Or just have a nanny raise her instead. Please, give our child the comfortable life she deserves. I promise that when I could, I'll take her back. Just give me a few years. I'll work hard to take her back and not burden you anymore. I tried raising her on my own, but I don't have the means anymore, and I don't want her to suffer with me any longer. So, please, Phi. Take care of her for me. She is my life, and I want nothing but the best for her, that's why I had to do this. So, please don't blame her and think of her as a burden. I love you both, always.

Forever loving you,
Becky

Freen didn't notice that she was already crying while she was reading the letter.

Is that what Becky really thinks? No. Is that what she made her think.

Poor Becky had to leave their child, because Freen is an asshole.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid Freen.

She wanted to punch her own face, because of her stupidity. But no matter how much she wanted to fix everything it was already too late. When she realized how wrong she was for treating Becky that way, she already lost her. Freen tried looking for the girl, but she found out that she was disowned by her parents and left their home.

Now, she knows the reason.

Now, everything makes sense.

Little miss perfect, Rebecca Patricia Armstrong was pregnant with their child. That's why her reputation conscious family threw her out.

How difficult it would have been for a pregnant young woman to try to survive alone. She cannot imagine what her stupidity and selfishness did to the poor girl.

Now, she even have to give up her own child and swallow her pride. The thought itself pained Freen's heart. She doesn't deserve this. Becky deserved the world.

---