26 | An Offer

Insight to the chapter

"After Chan Yeol Jeon's men ambushed you and Uncle Chang, Chan Yeol Jeon has a very interesting offer for you and him. Do you have the guts to go through with it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just as we came to confront Uncle Chang at the underground parking lot, a host of Chan Yeol Jeon's bodyguards descended on him.

Oh no! What is going on?!

"Get the hell off me!" yelled Uncle Chang as the men grabbed him.

You raised your voice and said, "What the hell is this?"

"We have come to help you, cousin."

I swiftly turned on my heel to see Chul Woo strutting over brandishing a gaudy golden gun in his hand.

"Seriously, Jungkook. You brought your little girl along to a gig? It is going to get you in trouble with Uncle Chan Yeol."

Oh, he would love that, wouldn't he? Ugh, I wish I could just tell him off! But I need to act oblivious. I can't blow my cover.

"Jungkook, what is going on?! Why did that man try to attack us?! I am so scared!" I exclaimed.

Immediately, you wrapped an arm around my shoulder and went along with my charade. "It's alright, Eun Jeong. Everything is going to be fine."

"He just came out of nowhere, waving a gun! He could have killed us!"

"I know, but you are safe now. He is not going to hurt you."

Behind our backs and out of Chul Woo's view, you gently brushed your fingers over mine, silently reassuring me that this is going well. Then you took a step toward your cousin who tried his best to puff out his chest.

You lowered your voice, pretending to whisper, but remained loud enough so I could hear your words, "If you had not come swooping in with your band of merry men, I could have written this off as an attempted robbery. But now, I am going to explain to her why my cousin nabbed the guy who nearly shot us and threw him in a van."

"But Uncle Chan Yeol sent us here!"

"What?"

Wait, what? Damn!

"And I imagine he will want to see you as soon as possible."

You bit the inside of your cheek and took a gentle hold of my hand. "Let's go then."

Why did Chan Yeol Jeon send his men here? And now he has Uncle Chang. If he talks... He will reveal my true identity!

With panic nestling in my heart, I leaned into you and followed you to Chul Woo's car.

He drove us all the way back to the Jeon Mansion and we were ushered up the stairs to Chan Yeol Jeon's office. He was waiting for us, seated at his desk and utterly silent. 

He shot you an unreadable look then turned his attention to me. "Are you alright, Eun Jeong?"

"I am a little shaken up, but I will be fine. I just need to get my bearings."

"Take as much time as you need. I am extremely sorry about this, but being in the company of our family can be... Difficult."

Is he implying it is dangerous to be around them? I am still acting oblivious! Why would he hint at something more happening here?

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a flash of confusion in your eyes. You seemed to be thinking the same thing. "I should get Eun Jeong back to her apartment. She needs some rest."